How's Your Writing Going?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: How's Your Writing Going?

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:26 pm

As everyone has already stated, there's no advertising allowed here. You could post a chapter of up to 2500 words in the critique sections. You could also post that your novel has been published under the success stories.

As for giving critiques, please re-read the rules. If you can't give constructive criticism, then give none. Sammy I already know who you are. Do I need to ban you once again?

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:24 pm

[quote="T.A.Rodgers"]As everyone has already stated, there's no advertising allowed here. You could post a chapter of up to 2500 words in the critique sections. You could also post that your novel has been published under the success stories.

As for giving critiques, please re-read the rules. If you can't give constructive criticism, then give none. Sammy I already know who you are. Do I need to ban you once again?[/quote]

Huh? Dont know what you think you know but I am sure you dont know that it isnt so.

My criticism was constructive. Too descriptive. Dull. Nothing happened to motivate the reader to continue. Others concurred with that view.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:38 pm

[quote="sammy2"]
Huh? Dont know what you think you know but I am sure you dont know that it isnt so. [/quote]

If you want to hide, william, you really shouldn't use the same phrasing with different sock puppets.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:45 pm

[quote="ostarella"][quote="sammy2"]
Huh? Dont know what you think you know but I am sure you dont know that it isnt so. [/quote]

If you want to hide, william, you really shouldn't use the same phrasing with different sock puppets.[/quote]

I am not hiding. No idea what you are talking about.

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:42 am

As a fellow writer you need to encourage not discourage. Saying something is dull is not constructive. It's destructive. You can phrase an opinion that encourages a writer without destroying them with a single word.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:01 pm

[quote="T.A.Rodgers"]As a fellow writer you need to encourage not discourage. Saying something is dull is not constructive. It's destructive. You can phrase an opinion that encourages a writer without destroying them with a single word.[/quote]

I encouraged by saying his blurb was good. But the story sample did not live up to that. So I said why.

I encouraged him to stop the endless description and start showing us a reason to care about the protagonist and to start having some action.
I could not in good conscience encourage anyone to have all that description with no motivation and no action.

By your definition saying anything useful would be destructive. Either we point out the problems so they can fix them, or we become a cheering section like family and friends, which wont really help them write better.

There were numerous issues. At the very lowest level the words were fine. At a higher level it needs better organisation to spread that setting description out amongst motivational events and action. And at a middle level the wording could be polished a lot to improve it.

Tatzme
Private E-1

Postby Tatzme » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:26 pm

It's so exciting hearing what you're all up to. @wdarcy: Congratulations. I could really feel your excitement from reading the words. Work like this is very inspiring to me, I hope you keep us updated. Best of luck from my side (:

In my writing world, it's a bit complicated at the moment. Even though it's still more than a year until I'll have my finals, I'm already so busy studying for my Abitur. It takes up an insane amount of time, and despite me using every minute I have to go on with my writing, I can't believe how slow it is going.
Actually, that's so frustrating for me. Writing is the thing I've always wanted to do since I can remember, and now that I educated myself enough to know how to do it, I can't fill the pages because I don't have time. The ideas flow in my mind like a waterfall, honestly. I could name at least five from the top of my head, but I guess I need to wait until I'm finally done with my scholar education. Goodness, I'm so looking forward to finally be able to spend all day writing. (I'd be really pissed, if writer's block decided to visit me just then :D)

Best of luck to all of you!
Greetings

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:45 pm

We do need to be cheerleaders, but we also have to be careful in how we say it. Since no one here is an expert at writing novels we have to do our best not to trample on someone's dream. New writers especially are vulnerable and sensitive to criticism. We could be their very first readers.

The part about saying stop the endless description is a good start, although you could have said you felt there was too much description. But I'm nip picking there and apologize. Show a reason to care about the protagonist is perfect. That's always a main focus and many of us have problems in this area.

And of course to the original OP, let's make sure to post writing for review in the appropriate area.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:30 pm

Working hard on my end.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Rhonda333
Private E-1

Postby Rhonda333 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:19 am

well I posted a story "Woman Within" under My Story but I don't think anyone has ever read it. Am I missing something?

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party