How's Your Writing Going?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
sammy2
Private First Class

Re: How's Your Writing Going?

Postby sammy2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:39 pm

[quote="NickMaug"]sammy2, you can read the ebook for free, or perhaps a simple preview is available as in most cases with books.

robjvargas, it is unethical to post advertisement? I guess that would depend on the way each individual would define what is and what is not ethical.

I appreciate both of your comments, obviously I have some learning and research to do after my first post. I was unaware of the stringent perfection required to appeal to the audience on here. Thank you for your critiques and lack of recommendations on ways in which I can improve my posts.[/quote]

The ebook price was $3 when I looked at amazon.
There was no preview except the back cover.

That post was on the borderline. I almost flagged it for deletion.

Stringent perfection? Audience here? What audience likes poor writing that is dull?

NickMaug
Private E-1

Postby NickMaug » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:02 pm

Wow, I'll have to change the price. When I view it, it says that it is free via kindle version, or $0.00.

The post that was borderline is the one you have quoted?

I wasn't referring to the book in regards to perfection, I was referring to the post. The format and placing an add or a post that was too long. Additionally, just because the writing doesn't appeal to you does not make it dull.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:07 pm

[quote="NickMaug"]Wow, I'll have to change the price. When I view it, it says that it is free via kindle version, or $0.00.

I wasn't referring to the book in regards to perfection, I was referring to the post. The format and placing an add or a post that was too long. Additionally, just because the writing doesn't appeal to you does not make it dull.[/quote]

No

It says free on kindle select if you are amazon prime member.

To me it was dull. And yes it did not appeal to me because it was dull. I will be surprised if anyone does not say it is dull except your amazon reviews.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:11 pm

[quote="sammy2"]
To me it was dull. And yes it did not appeal to me because it was dull. I will be surprised if anyone does not say it is dull except your amazon reviews.[/quote]

Please remember the difference between opinion and fact. It didn't appeal to you because you thought it was dull. Others are free to agree or disagree.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:13 pm

[quote="NickMaug"]Wow, I'll have to change the price. When I view it, it says that it is free via kindle version, or $0.00.

I wasn't referring to the book in regards to perfection, I was referring to the post. The format and placing an add or a post that was too long. Additionally, just because the writing doesn't appeal to you does not make it dull.[/quote]

The borderline post was the one with the link advertising your book.
I think I quoted it with my reply.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:15 pm

[quote="ostarella"][quote="sammy2"]
To me it was dull. And yes it did not appeal to me because it was dull. I will be surprised if anyone does not say it is dull except your amazon reviews.[/quote]

Please remember the difference between opinion and fact. It didn't appeal to you because you thought it was dull. Others are free to agree or disagree.[/quote]

I understand that. I can only state my impression. How about giving him one of your critiques, be sure to rate the dullness on a scale from 0 to 11.

The blurb was interesting. I did not see any of that in the sample. To me the sample was mind numbing dull. All description nothing happening.
As I noted that might make for great literary fiction or a slice of life vignette but to me that is dull.

I do hope he gets several more folks commenting on it so he has a range of feedback to use. I do not claim to speak for everybody. But until they say something all he has is my honest comments.

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:30 pm

[quote="NickMaug"]sammy2, you can read the ebook for free, or perhaps a simple preview is available as in most cases with books.

robjvargas, it is unethical to post advertisement? I guess that would depend on the way each individual would define what is and what is not ethical.

I appreciate both of your comments, obviously I have some learning and research to do after my first post. I was unaware of the stringent perfection required to appeal to the audience on here. Thank you for your critiques and lack of recommendations on ways in which I can improve my posts.[/quote]
Stringent perfection? Now there's a backhanded pseudo-apology.

In the FAQ section is a sticky topic called "WD Rules of Conduct."

http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=261201

In that topic, the forum administrator posted, among other things:
[quote]
Posts containing links to business websites, business email addresses, ads for products free or otherwise, and services are not allowed. If you would like to advertise with Writer’s Digest, please contact our ad department.[/quote]

There's another rule about not posting already-publishing work for critique. In my opinion, this is the "larger" of the two offenses (so to speak).

My own opinion on ethics is just an opinion, but above is true whether you agree with the ethics opinion or not.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

NickMaug
Private E-1

Postby NickMaug » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:39 pm

rob-lost, thanks for the information! I deleted the link and will discontinue my postings of such in the future. I was ignorant in assuming that "How's your writing going?" meant to go all in. Reading the rules of conduct is something I will be doing presently.

"My own opinion on ethics is just an opinion, but above is true whether you agree with the ethics opinion or not." --- I like that.

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:54 pm

[quote="NickMaug"]rob-lost, thanks for the information! I deleted the link and will discontinue my postings of such in the future. I was ignorant in assuming that "How's your writing going?" meant to go all in. Reading the rules of conduct is something I will be doing presently.

"My own opinion on ethics is just an opinion, but above is true whether you agree with the ethics opinion or not." --- I like that.[/quote]

This thread was just a general discussion about how it was going.

Actually there are specific places to post items for review. Interesting but I don't see a category under the critique section that fits your novel.
Take it outside allows anything. You could always post there without a problem.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:52 pm

It's going great for my end.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

PreviousNext