Our happy Home

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Our happy Home

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:28 am

In remembrance of our great Site Admin over the last 10 years (Paul aka pls), I'd like to remind everyone to please reread the forum rules. Although this is a small community due to website issues over the last 5 years, it's still a community of writers that are here because of a very important Writer's Digest motto - Writer Better, Get Published. That's why I joined. If you didn't join for that reason, then this site is not for you.

I realize the rules here can be tough at times, but the rules are there for a reason. If anyone is familiar with other writer websites, then you know many of those sites can get quite volatile at times. WD does not want that here, which is why they came up with the rules. As an admin, Paul performed his duties as he was asked by WD. He wasn't paid, nor did he receive any special considerations. If you were unhappy with his decisions you were welcomed to complain to Brian or any other WD staff member.

A couple of years ago, I asked Brian if I could help as an admin. I helped clean up the website and make a few changes that allowed us to handle the spam a little better. However, I mostly stood on the sidelines when it came to moderating the site. Now that I volunteered to take over Paul's duties I will perform those admin duties as Paul performed them. To be clear, I am not a liberal, but I will ban users for abusing the purpose of this website. Of course until such time WD deems my services no longer necessary.

Lastly, I do not have the free time that Paul had since he retired. I have a regular job just like most of you. I will get to things as soon as I can. Since I've had problems with my accounts becoming corrupt, I will only use this account while logging into only one machine. There may be a delay when addressing the spam, new users, or other areas that need attending.

If you have any problems with what I have presented, please complain away. If not, I look forward to reading the opinions of how to Write Better, Get Published.

rob-lost
Corporal

Re: Our happy Home

Postby rob-lost » Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:54 am

Congrats(?) on the promotion, T.A.Rodgers. I'm hoping for the best.

May I be blunt for a post or two?

I'm not expecting the best. Several people that left didn't actually leave. They were effectively kicked out when their logins ceased functioning. My own login only works at one PC (and even that on only one browser) because I haven't cleaned it of cookies. And the response has been the same at every level, "Give it a day or two. It'll clear up."

That was six months ago it started happening.

If that's typical of the response the other users got, then that's being kicked out. It makes WD look like it doesn't give the least concern for its users.

Despite my past ramblings about being done with WD, and even the fact that I've started my own forum out of frustration with this one, I'm here. I'll be here if the update happens.

IF.

Because, frankly, no official response from WD over the course of six months (or more) of progressive loss of function (and, more importantly, access) leaves me no reason to believe that it will happen.

I hate doing this. This should be your welcome thread, and well-wishing thread. I realize that I'm stomping on that.

However, paid or not, becoming administrator here is accepting that said administrator also becomes the representative voice of WD within this forum. At least until such time as WD itself starts actually answering our queries and complaints.

Fingers crossed. Hope is not dead. But expectations? WD has set a very low bar, and hasn't even met that. AND they've left the impression that they are blissfully (and willfully) ignorant of what they are doing to their readers with this inaction and silence.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:44 am

[quote="rob-lost"]Congrats(?) on the promotion, T.A.Rodgers. I'm hoping for the best.

May I be blunt for a post or two?

I'm not expecting the best. Several people that left didn't actually leave. They were effectively kicked out when their logins ceased functioning. My own login only works at one PC (and even that on only one browser) because I haven't cleaned it of cookies. And the response has been the same at every level, "Give it a day or two. It'll clear up."

That was six months ago it started happening.

If that's typical of the response the other users got, then that's being kicked out. It makes WD look like it doesn't give the least concern for its users.

Despite my past ramblings about being done with WD, and even the fact that I've started my own forum out of frustration with this one, I'm here. I'll be here if the update happens.

IF.

Because, frankly, no official response from WD over the course of six months (or more) of progressive loss of function (and, more importantly, access) leaves me no reason to believe that it will happen.

I hate doing this. This should be your welcome thread, and well-wishing thread. I realize that I'm stomping on that.

However, paid or not, becoming administrator here is accepting that said administrator also becomes the representative voice of WD within this forum. At least until such time as WD itself starts actually answering our queries and complaints.

Fingers crossed. Hope is not dead. But expectations? WD has set a very low bar, and hasn't even met that. AND they've left the impression that they are blissfully (and willfully) ignorant of what they are doing to their readers with this inaction and silence.[/quote]

Brian said that WD was going to address the issues. Not sure T.A.Rodgers can do much until WD decides to make structural changes.

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:47 am

[quote="T.A.Rodgers"]In remembrance of our great Site Admin over the last 10 years (Paul aka pls), I'd like to remind everyone to please reread the forum rules. Although this is a small community due to website issues over the last 5 years, it's still a community of writers that are here because of a very important Writer's Digest motto - Writer Better, Get Published. That's why I joined. If you didn't join for that reason, then this site is not for you.

I realize the rules here can be tough at times, but the rules are there for a reason. If anyone is familiar with other writer websites, then you know many of those sites can get quite volatile at times. WD does not want that here, which is why they came up with the rules. As an admin, Paul performed his duties as he was asked by WD. He wasn't paid, nor did he receive any special considerations. If you were unhappy with his decisions you were welcomed to complain to Brian or any other WD staff member.

A couple of years ago, I asked Brian if I could help as an admin. I helped clean up the website and make a few changes that allowed us to handle the spam a little better. However, I mostly stood on the sidelines when it came to moderating the site. Now that I volunteered to take over Paul's duties I will perform those admin duties as Paul performed them. To be clear, I am not a liberal, but I will ban users for abusing the purpose of this website. Of course until such time WD deems my services no longer necessary.

Lastly, I do not have the free time that Paul had since he retired. I have a regular job just like most of you. I will get to things as soon as I can. Since I've had problems with my accounts becoming corrupt, I will only use this account while logging into only one machine. There may be a delay when addressing the spam, new users, or other areas that need attending.

If you have any problems with what I have presented, please complain away. If not, I look forward to reading the opinions of how to Write Better, Get Published.[/quote]

Hopefully you will explain the problem , assuming there actually is one, to the person first instead of just surprising them.
Some people think that discussions are attacks, when you don't agree with their (often silly) position, and complain to the admins.

Hopefully you will enforce the rules equally against all involved not let a couple of folks provoke another to retaliate verbally and then kill their signon but not the truly guilty parties.

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:50 am

I agree the site has become awfully slow with apparent issues. This is my 4th or 5th account. I know now that the accounts get screwed up if I'm logged into more than one computer at a time. I do know that Brian constantly ask/pushed for IT to upgrade or fix the website. I see in the admin panel multiple errors that if I had access to the server it's on I could fix rather easily. Hopefully this new site due in November will not use the same combo php/wordpress and hopefully it will function much better. My fingers are crossed too.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:01 am

Congratulations on becoming our Mod., Terry. I can't think of anyone better, and you have a proven track record with the sterling help you gave to pls. I think the forum would have died under the spam onslaught if you hadn't been around. I do hope that this responsibility doesn't become a burden for you, and that you, too, as a writer, will enjoy being in our little community. I will support you in any way I can.

You've heard of the phoenix? The revamped forum will become ours. :D
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:08 am

I have read many of the posts over the last month or so. I agree some of the blame can be spread across multiple people, but I also see and want to reiterate one simple piece of advice. There are many ways to write a novel. Just because you or anyone feels strongly about one direction does not mean that that is the only way. The two most important aspects of writing a novel is starting and finishing. I will never tell someone how to write a novel, but I will tell them what works best for me. Everyone has to approach it that way. Every writer does approach it a different way.

Also, even during discussions everyone must refrain from the verbal bashing. Name calling is child's play. We are adults. We see enough of it going on today without coming here and reading more of it. When you don't agree with someone's opinion you can do so without the name calling.

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:11 am

[quote="Oldtimer"]You've heard of the phoenix? The revamped forum will become ours. :D[/quote]

I love this. Fingers and toes crossed.

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:46 pm

[quote="plughmann"]
Hopefully you will explain the problem , assuming there actually is one, to the person first instead of just surprising them.
Some people think that discussions are attacks, when you don't agree with their (often silly) position, and complain to the admins.

Hopefully you will enforce the rules equally against all involved not let a couple of folks provoke another to retaliate verbally and then kill their signon but not the truly guilty parties.[/quote]
You should remember that it was you, and you alone, that used namecalling in the "Sad Day" thread I started about pls passing away. Specifically, "libtards." Instead of acknowledging your side of those blow-ups, you double-down on the accusation and self-proclamation of victimhood.

I'm no angel, either. Hell, when I dig in my heels, they're made of titanium. So yeah, I'm obstinate. Just for one example.

But I've tried to simply talk to you across your several ID's. And each time, you've asserted victimhood and namecalling and refused to acknowledge the points I and others have raised.

And yes, william, I know it's you. You can deny it, and there is a chance that I'm wrong. But your manner of posting, your use of that name above, the way you're trying to post in all newcomer threads, it's a similarity of behavior that I won't ignore.

It's not my place to tell you to leave. And if the powers that be don't eject you, then I'll keep trying to discuss with you. But neither am I going to ignore what I see.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:26 pm

[quote="rob-lost"][quote="plughmann"]

Hopefully you will enforce the rules equally against all involved not let a couple of folks provoke another to retaliate verbally and then kill their signon but not the truly guilty parties.[/quote]
You should remember that it was you, and you alone, that used namecalling in the "Sad Day" thread I started about pls passing away. Specifically, "libtards." Instead of acknowledging your side of those blow-ups, you double-down on the accusation and self-proclamation of victimhood.

I'm no angel, either. Hell, when I dig in my heels, they're made of titanium. So yeah, I'm obstinate. Just for one example.

But I've tried to simply talk to you across your several ID's. And each time, you've asserted victimhood and namecalling and refused to acknowledge the points I and others have raised.

And yes, william, I know it's you. You can deny it, and there is a chance that I'm wrong. But your manner of posting, your use of that name above, the way you're trying to post in all newcomer threads, it's a similarity of behavior that I won't ignore.

It's not my place to tell you to leave. And if the powers that be don't eject you, then I'll keep trying to discuss with you. But neither am I going to ignore what I see.[/quote]

WTF

I don't know what you think you know but I do know that you do not know that it is not so.

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party