what is the hardest thing for a beginner novelist

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
plughmann
Sergeant

what is the hardest thing for a beginner novelist

Postby plughmann » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:58 pm

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: what is the hardest thing for a beginner novelist

Postby ostarella » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:23 pm

I suppose that works for nonfiction. For fiction, I tell people they should just tell me a story. No, the telling isn't going to be great right out of the gate, but that's true of most things. Fear of starting - that's the biggest problem I've seen with new writers of fiction. The more they write, coupled with learning how to be objective about their writing, the better they get. And the more things they try, whether it be method, phrasing, characterization, etc, the more they learn about the kind of writer they are. When they realize that writing is an evolution - that's when they not only start, but continue.

wdarcy
Major

Postby wdarcy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:53 pm

Absolutely, Shadowwalker. I couldn't have said it better myself.

And yes, these questions are meant for non-fiction writers, not novelists, and I suppose they may be helpful. I can't remember asking myself any of those questions when I wrote my two non-fiction books. Perhaps I did on some level. But I believe we tend to overthink these things.

Warren
"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:42 pm

One of teh hardest things for me was teh mechanics of dialogue.

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:11 pm

There are times when being a writer is a lonely task. The people around you don't feel the passion that you feel for that "world" coming together in your story. That can be pretty discouraging.

At moments like that, dedication and perseverance can be the hardest things, for the veteran as well as for the beginner.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:11 pm

[quote="rob-lost"]There are times when being a writer is a lonely task. The people around you don't feel the passion that you feel for that "world" coming together in your story. That can be pretty discouraging.

At moments like that, dedication and perseverance can be the hardest things, for the veteran as well as for the beginner.[/quote]

Writing is a solitary endeavor. But we should not make it harder than necessary. Learning how to write faster better easier should be part of our goals not just aimless writing hoping to magically find our way as was ostarella advice to justify pantsing as a good method to use.

Some people dont like to learn. They are comfortable with what they first did no matter how well it worked and so they keep repeating it without even thinking about how to improve their methods.

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:44 pm

Those who can, do.

Those who can't...

Learning is part of life. There are many ways to learn. Trial-and-error. Apprenticeship. Groups like the critique group to which I belong. Becoming an editor and seeing how others do and don't succeed at it.

There's no one path to success.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

Return to Writers' Block Party