biggest problem for the writer ?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
plughmann
Sergeant

biggest problem for the writer ?

Postby plughmann » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:55 pm

http://blog.bookbaby.com/2017/04/number-one-enemy-of-the-writer/

What is the biggest hurdle for any writer? A lack of time? The blank page? Writer’s block? Having your ideas stolen? The absence of an agent or publisher?
Probably not.

Read the link for that writers answer.

Agree or disagree. I tend to agree with the claim made.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Re: biggest problem for the writer ?

Postby Noizchild » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:09 pm

I can see how that can be problematic.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:11 pm

I agree with the premise. Regardless of how one gets there, the end product has to be "followable" - you can't jump from one thing to another, hoping the reader can read your mind as well as the page.

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:46 pm

Having their ideas stolen would be a very bad problem for writers.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:42 pm

[quote="Dreaming Imrryr"]Having their ideas stolen would be a very bad problem for writers.[/quote]

Not as bad as many think. Having stories stolen - ie, plagiarized - definitely. But give any ten writers exactly the same idea and they will write ten very individualized stories. The idea is rarely that special - how you write it is.

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:59 pm

[quote="ostarella"][quote="Dreaming Imrryr"]Having their ideas stolen would be a very bad problem for writers.[/quote]

Not as bad as many think. Having stories stolen - ie, plagiarized - definitely. But give any ten writers exactly the same idea and they will write ten very individualized stories. The idea is rarely that special - how you write it is.[/quote]

Agreed. There are only a handful of basic stories. The difference is in the details.

You can't steal ideas, only what has been already written. It is rare that a copyrighted story would be stolen.
It does happen but is not a widespread problem.

NOTE: you own the copyright the moment you fix your version of one of those few basic stories in a medium.

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:05 pm

[quote="Dreaming Imrryr"]Having their ideas stolen would be a very bad problem for writers.[/quote]

How so. There are only a handful of basic stories. It is what you do when you put in the details that matters.
Anyone using the basic stories has not stolen anything. And it is rare that your written details of your story will ever be stolen.

Of course if they were that would be bad in a way. But if you registered your copyright with the LOC then you could sue them for a bundle to feel better.

Return to Writers' Block Party