Questions from a newbie about graphomania

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Wilx
Private E-1

Questions from a newbie about graphomania

Postby Wilx » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:42 am

First of all take my apologies for bad English. :) I'm foreign reader.

1) Is it worth to write just for a sake of it? For example lately there is nothing interesting happening in my life so I have nothing to write about. So should I just sit and write about some random meaningless stuff like the car that I saw under my window or room that I’m currently in? I have seen there are writing exercises like that. But what is the difference between writing this kind of stuff and so called graphomania? Won’t I become a graphoman if I will start to write just for a sake of writing?

2) Is there any point to push out ideas out of yourself like a toothpaste? Let’s take short story as an example. I need some plot, characters, idea. But what if nothing comes to my head? What if I don’t have that condition when words easily lay on the paper? Should I try to write by pushing myself?

3) How to expand my vocabulary? Most often advice that I hear is to read more. But is it efficient? Let’s say I learn ten-fifteen new words per book. But it takes at least few hours to complete that book. Won’t it be more practical to read a dictionary instead?

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Questions from a newbie about graphomania

Postby ostarella » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:07 am

[quote="Wilx"]
1) Is it worth to write just for a sake of it? For example lately there is nothing interesting happening in my life so I have nothing to write about. So should I just sit and write about some random meaningless stuff like the car that I saw under my window or room that I’m currently in? I have seen there are writing exercises like that. But what is the difference between writing this kind of stuff and so called graphomania? Won’t I become a graphoman if I will start to write just for a sake of writing?[/quote]

----- I wouldn't worry about graphomania. Like any form of OCD, it's not just writing - it's writing compulsively regardless of meaning or quality. Many, if not most writers NEED to write - but they need to write well, not just gibberish.

As to writing "some random meaningless stuff" - why would you do that? Look at that car under your window and write a STORY about it. Who left it there - a car jacker? A woman who has just left her husband? A spy who needs it to quickly make his getaway? Start with the mundane and use your imagination. Ask "What if...?".

[quote="Wilx"]
2) Is there any point to push out ideas out of yourself like a toothpaste? Let’s take short story as an example. I need some plot, characters, idea. But what if nothing comes to my head? What if I don’t have that condition when words easily lay on the paper? Should I try to write by pushing myself?[/quote]

----- If you think there's nothing in your head, then yes, you need to push yourself. Everyone is born with imagination. Many have it beaten out of them by others who call it "silly" or "nonsense". So you need to wake up that imagination and allow yourself to think of possibilities, not necessarily probabilities. That's when writing about that car under your window comes into play.

And go "people watch". Go to a bus station or airport and just watch the people interacting with each other and their surroundings. Make up stories in your head about them - nothing complicated or lengthy - just scenarios about them. Look at their expressions, their gestures, how fast or slow they walk - and make something up.

Successful writers don't wait for inspiration. They see it everywhere because that's where they look for it.

[quote="Wilx"]
3) How to expand my vocabulary? Most often advice that I hear is to read more. But is it efficient? Let’s say I learn ten-fifteen new words per book. But it takes at least few hours to complete that book. Won’t it be more practical to read a dictionary instead?[/quote]

----- I used to read the dictionary when I was in grade school and finished whatever I was doing early. The trick was then learning how to use those new words contextually. That's where reading worked much better.

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:52 am

[quote="Wilx"]First of all take my apologies for bad English. :) I'm foreign reader.

1) Is it worth to write just for a sake of it? For example lately there is nothing interesting happening in my life so I have nothing to write about. So should I just sit and write about some random meaningless stuff like the car that I saw under my window or room that I’m currently in? I have seen there are writing exercises like that. But what is the difference between writing this kind of stuff and so called graphomania? Won’t I become a graphoman if I will start to write just for a sake of writing?

2) Is there any point to push out ideas out of yourself like a toothpaste? Let’s take short story as an example. I need some plot, characters, idea. But what if nothing comes to my head? What if I don’t have that condition when words easily lay on the paper? Should I try to write by pushing myself?

3) How to expand my vocabulary? Most often advice that I hear is to read more. But is it efficient? Let’s say I learn ten-fifteen new words per book. But it takes at least few hours to complete that book. Won’t it be more practical to read a dictionary instead?[/quote]

No.

Yes and no. Like any skill creativity improves with usage.
Instead of pushing read a book on creativity.

Read.
Read books just slightly above your skill level.
You won't learn many words by just reading a dictionary.
You learn words best in context in phrases rather than one at a time.
If you just want to memorise words then there are guidebooks like SAT vocabulary or lists of top N-thousand words you can use.
You may do it to reinforce your skills using English.

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:54 am

[quote="plughmann"][quote="Wilx"]First of all take my apologies for bad English. :) I'm foreign reader.

No.
Graphomania is a mental disorder that causes rambling writing. Writing won't cause graphomania.

Yes and no. Like any skill creativity improves with usage.
Instead of pushing to write read a book on creativity.

Read.
Read books just slightly above your skill level.
You won't learn many words by just reading a dictionary.
You learn words best in context in phrases rather than one at a time.
If you just want to memorise words then there are guidebooks like SAT vocabulary or lists of top N-thousand words you can use.
You may do it to reinforce your skills using English.[/quote]

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:28 am

Last edited by Dreaming Imrryr on Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:20 pm

I'm with @Dreaming Imrryr. Creativity doesn't "just happen." It's somewhat like a muscle. If you don't use it, it atrophies. Start small. It doesn't have to be events. Maybe a picture. Try drawing pictures with words. Try to imagine how the scene got to where it is. Why that graffiti? How did that car get there? Even a pothole can have a story to tell.

It doesn't have to be a final work. Like with muscles, it can be about giving your creativity some exercise.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

Return to Writers' Block Party