do you remember where you were when

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
plughmann
Sergeant

do you remember where you were when

Postby plughmann » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:17 pm

Where were you on 911 when the terrorists flew planes into the twin towers ?
Where were you when president Kennedy was assassinated?

Do you remember any other big events which were breaking news that took over broadcasting when they happened ?

On 911 I was driving to work and heard it on the radio thinking it was an accident. Got to work and nobody was working while everybody had a tv on somewhere watching the news. We got very little work done that day.

When they shot Kennedy I was in a probability class taught by a Polish professor. Someone broke in the room to tell us the news. He had a minute of silence and finished his lecture. All the other classes were empty for the rest of the day.

Anyone here remember DDay or Pearl Harbor?

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Re: do you remember where you were when

Postby Brien Sz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:47 pm

I was in my office writing when 9-11 happened. I got a call asking me if my wife was okay. I said, I guess, why? And that's when I found out, shortly after the second tower was hit. I was on the phone with my dad when the first tower fell. I'll never forget it. I said to him (he was at work at his shop - no tv) "I think the Trade Center is falling down." He replied, "They can't fall down." "Dad," I said with great disbelief as the smoke mushroomed up in the falling debris, "it fell, it's all gone."

When the Challenger blew up, I was working at an auto dealership. We all gathered around the tv because this was the first civilian launch and we all thought that was pretty cool.

I was an infant for JFK.

plughmann
Sergeant

Postby plughmann » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:24 pm

The challenger was another one I recall where I was when it happened.

Now that you mention it I remember that we were on the way to lunch at the mall when we heard it on the radio. That event was memorable but not at the same level of impact of 911 nor Kennedy. We worked with NASA and everybody always knew there would be a failure someday. NASA had computed the odds at 1/75.

It is hard to remember things unless you were old enough to hear/see it on the news media when they broke the story.

T.A.Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby T.A.Rodgers » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:40 pm

I was at work in King of Prussia area. We closed and sent everyone home by 11am, and we were closed the next day.

Around 4 months later, I started working for a company in Philadelphia that had an office in NY. I started making regular trips up to NY and saw the clean up. The company had several people that were in one of the towers. Others came through the subway from New Jersey earlier that morning on their way to our office near Wall Street. They still get a little emotional when talking about it and how they were in the towers when they got hit. One of my male co-workers was with a female co-worker exiting the first tower when a jumper landed no more than 50 feet from them. The female co-worker never went back to work after that. :(

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:54 pm

I was driving to work when the first plane struck. That's all the radio said. "We have reports that a plan has struck the World Trade Center." I imagined a Cessna or similar small aircraft and kept going.

When I got to work, everyone was around TV's, and I saw the flames. So I asked, "What kind of plane was it?" No one knew.

We were watching when the second plane hit. My brain kept trying to reject the image, like I was watching a disaster flick.

I still have butterflies watching that second plane come in.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:26 pm

I was in fourth grade math class when JFK was shot. The principal announced it over the PA system. I wasn't really sure what had happened - I only remember getting really scared because the teacher, Mr Anderson, sat down and cried. And I still remember watching the funeral procession on TV, listening to the funeral march, and the riderless horse...

I remember seeing the Challenger explosion, but for the life of me I can't remember where I was.

9/11 - I had just gotten up and turned on the Today show; they were talking about a possible navigational malfunction when the second plane came in from the right of the screen and then the fireball. I know I called my brother, but I don't remember a lot of that conversation. Then I called my son, who was out on the west coast at college; woke him up, crying, telling him we'd been attacked. He said later he was the first in his dorm to find out, and as he woke people up, all hell broke loose. Then the pentagon, and the last plane...

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:56 pm

I was at home, pregnant with my fourth, the older ones were in school. I remember, being prego and emotional, breaking down over the phone with my sister in law. I was born in NY state and had family all over ny and pa, i didn't know if any of my family were hurt at that point, they werent. the next day, i was afraid to send my kids to school, that people would start being hateful to those from that part of the world as the terrorists. i didn't want to send my kids to school, because of the color of their skin, they are part cherokee, and have been mistaken for other nationalities before, i was afraid of them being treated badly or scared, threatened or hurt.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:00 pm

I was in class and we watched the news on the TV for most of the dad. In fact, my mom came into my classroom and told the teacher about it.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:51 pm

During 9/11, I was sitting in my room at my Air Force base and heard the news on the radio.

Return to Writers' Block Party