A pocket of time...

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Vio4n
Private E-1

A pocket of time...

Postby Vio4n » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:02 pm

So in my fanfiction (Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter) my character is messed with a bit by Rita Skeeter in the newspaper and finds out about it. But it's actually very vital that she did that since, ironically, it lets Gandalf know where my character is. Gandalf and Dumbledore see the column and decide to see if this guy will be useful and if he's in league with death eaters, etc. This all happens in the morning since that is when newspapers go out. I can always change it to later in the day, but I'll get to that later.

So if they get the Daily Prophet in the morning, then Dumbledore goes to some kind of meeting at the Ministry of Magic for the break in at Gringott's which happened the day before. Naturally, Gandalf would mind is own business around the school, taking it easy, since he just got back from a cross-continental journey concerning magical creatures and their allegiances/status. But what I'm stuck on is what my character Thrair should do between the morning and the evening (there are already plans for then). The best idea I've gotten so far is that he should explore Diagon Alley since he's going to be there for some while (an entire month, but there will be a time skip).

If I make Gandalf arrive at Hogwarts in the afternoon and he and Dumbledore speak then, then the Ministry meeting is in the morning like usual, but I still am not sure what to do with Thrair. The idea of him going through Diagon Alley is slightly mundane to me, I suppose, and I think something more than filler is in order. Any help?

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Re: A pocket of time...

Postby Noizchild » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:05 pm

Nice to see other fanfic writers here too.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:17 pm

Is it necessary that he do anything? Is it necessary that anything happen between the newspaper coming out and the evening get-together? Is there another character who could/should do something that impacts what happens in the evening? Do you need to include anything about the morning meeting, or could you go from the scene of the newspaper article coming out directly to the evening meeting?

Not much help, I'm afraid - my only connection to either fandom is the movies, and of course we don't know what's been happening in the story to this point...

Vio4n
Private E-1

Postby Vio4n » Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:41 pm

[quote="Noizchild"]Nice to see other fanfic writers here too.[/quote]

Yeah, I feel like fanfiction is just what I like writing more :)

[quote="ostarella"]Is it necessary that he do anything? Is it necessary that anything happen between the newspaper coming out and the evening get-together? Is there another character who could/should do something that impacts what happens in the evening? Do you need to include anything about the morning meeting, or could you go from the scene of the newspaper article coming out directly to the evening meeting?

Not much help, I'm afraid - my only connection to either fandom is the movies, and of course we don't know what's been happening in the story to this point...[/quote]

Honestly I like how you questioned what I said with simplicity; that's entirely true, he could just hang around all day. As for your second question, no. And yes I wasn't going to make the meeting a whole scene, just an excuse for Dumbledore to be busy since he's a busy man. I was thinking just cutting right to the chase but I wanted the chapter to be a few thousand like usual; I bet I could compensate just fine with what happens afterwards.
Now that I think about it, I really could focus more on what happens next since it's actually what's important. I might mention him going around and exploring but I won't go into any detail- you did help quite a bit, actually!

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:11 pm

I do both fanfiction and original works.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Return to Writers' Block Party