genre: not a romance

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jackitaylor
Private First Class

genre: not a romance

Postby jackitaylor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:43 am

I thought I better start a new topic for this one. so sorry if Im over posting . . .
I am struggling with defining the genre here.
I think i have to be honest with myself that I am putting more of a spotlight on the relationship between the two characters than the action/thriller plot. Or perhaps it's nearly equal? I guess I won't know til i actually finish it :D

I'm a bit of a cynic, so I'm not writing the typical romance. They won't exactly get together at the end. So, almost a tragic love story. So what genre can I call it? Bittersweet romance? Tragic love story? I think it is turning out to be fairly character driven, so perhaps it would qualify as a literary fiction, even though I don't fully understand what the category really means. I always thought it meant grandiose verbiage and not much of a real plot, except maybe character development. I'm very confused about what literary fiction really is! As a reader, I don't favor a lot of the literary fiction works, although i have read some very good ones. But mostly, I put the book down very quickly when it is looking too verbose for me. If I have to read a sentence three times to try to discern what the author is talking about, i will stop reading lol. I guess I'm writing the kind of story that I would like to read, if other's like it too, I would be over the moon. If it makes money one day, even better!

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Re: genre: not a romance

Postby mike m. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:57 am

whats in a name
a rose etc............

why do you need to define any genre
(there are reasons but what is yours)

sounds like romance or was it an action/thriller
if you plan in advance you will know that explicitly
if you pantsit you have to wait until the end to see what you got

not every story has a happy ending

i agree litfic is way too verbose
with too much description and too little happening

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:02 pm

Don't worry about genre until you've finished the book. Then you can see the final product and know what genre it best fits into. But if it's a pretty even mix of romance/thriller, you can submit to agents for both; just phrase your query based on the genre of the agent you're submitting to. Many agents are open to a variety of genres as well.

As to literary fiction re: grandiose verbiage etc - those problems are found in all genres.

jackitaylor
Private First Class

Postby jackitaylor » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:19 pm

You're right, you're right, you're right! I don't need to worry about that now, I need to FINISH IT(finally) and then figure out what I've got. And thank you ostarella for the tips about submitting, that eases my mind a bit. Can you tell I'm stressing about every single aspect of this book? LOL And yes, I did start out "pantsing" it, so it took me a while to figure out where I was headed. I almost completely know where I'm going with it now!

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:47 pm

[quote="jackitaylor"]You're right, you're right, you're right! I don't need to worry about that now, I need to FINISH IT(finally) and then figure out what I've got. And thank you ostarella for the tips about submitting, that eases my mind a bit. Can you tell I'm stressing about every single aspect of this book? LOL And yes, I did start out "pantsing" it, so it took me a while to figure out where I was headed. I almost completely know where I'm going with it now![/quote]
======

WM will give you info on how to submit and who is the best agent/publisher for your mss

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:26 pm

Quote by jackitaylor

"I thought I better start a new topic for this one. so sorry if Im over posting . . ."

-----------------------------------

There's no such thing as over posting on this forum.

In fact, this forum is slowly fading away, a lot of the regulars have gone and with them their great store of advice and knowledge. :(

Post as much as you want and make as many topics as you want, I used to make a lot of posts and numerous topics every week.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Postby mike m. » Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:37 pm

[quote="Dreaming Imrryr"]Quote by jackitaylor

"I thought I better start a new topic for this one. so sorry if Im over posting . . ."

-----------------------------------

There's no such thing as over posting on this forum.

In fact, this forum is slowly fading away, a lot of the regulars have gone and with them their great store of advice and knowledge. :(

Post as much as you want and make as many topics as you want, I used to make a lot of posts and numerous topics every week.[/quote]
=========

+1
~~~~~

we need more people discussing things and fewer complaining that they dont like a discussion

if you dont like a discussion then just skip it

it woudl help if more regulars welcomed more newcomers and encouraged them to get involved

MN Thorne
Private E-1

Postby MN Thorne » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:14 am

it sounds like your story falls into that dark romance category? Or women's lit? :D

Return to Writers' Block Party