Blocked due to POV

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
KZsnow
Private E-1

Blocked due to POV

Postby KZsnow » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:09 pm

Hello all!:)
I am a new writer and have been working on my own book in my spare time. I currently am blocked on how to go about POV in this novel. it has to do with two brothers, one is a drug addict. the other is the main character and will be in the first person. but I feel like I should go third person at some points in order for the reader to really grasp the reality of the situations the addict is in due to his connection to the main story line. I feel as if 2 first person views would confuse the reader. but I have also been warned in some of my workshops on not to have two different POVs. any and all feedback is appreciated :)

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: Blocked due to POV

Postby ostarella » Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:09 am

I'm thinking maybe what your workshops were talking about was head-hopping - jumping back and forth between POVs within the same paragraph, section, or chapter willy-nilly. But I have read many books with two 1st person POVs, or even one 1st person and third person. The trick is to make the changes logical and clearly delineated (new section within a chapter using *** for example, or a new chapter for each POV change) so the reader isn't confused as to whose POV it is.

mike m.
Master Sergeant

Re: Blocked due to POV

Postby mike m. » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:30 am

[quote="KZsnow"]Hello all!:)
I am a new writer and have been working on my own book in my spare time. I currently am blocked on how to go about POV in this novel. it has to do with two brothers, one is a drug addict. the other is the main character and will be in the first person. but I feel like I should go third person at some points in order for the reader to really grasp the reality of the situations the addict is in due to his connection to the main story line. I feel as if 2 first person views would confuse the reader. but I have also been warned in some of my workshops on not to have two different POVs. any and all feedback is appreciated :)[/quote]
======

imho as a reader
you can have multiple POV
just keep them separate
as in separate chapters
and make it clear there was a change in POV

beginners are warned to have one pov

but once you know the rules
you can break the rules
if you know how to break the rules
without causing problems

Return to Writers' Block Party