great wd session on writing your novel

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
noob
Private E-1

great wd session on writing your novel

Postby noob » Mon Jul 24, 2017 1:25 pm

https://www.writersonlineworkshops.com/courses/outlining-your-novel?utm_source=course&utm_campaign=wow-lmn-cors-170724-outlining&utm_content=958506_UNV_WD-PM170724+-+Outlining+Your+Novel&utm_medium=email

Writers often look upon outlines with fear and trembling. But when properly understood and correctly used, the outline is one of the most powerful weapons in a writer's arsenal.

With the help of the book Outlining Your Novel: Map Your Way to Success by K.M. Weiland, you will learn how to write an outline, including what type of outline is right for you, brainstorm plot ideas, and discover your characters.

The instructor for the workshop is Elizabeth Huergo.

ostarella
Lieutenant

Re: great wd session on writing your novel

Postby ostarella » Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:18 pm

[quote="noob"]But when properly understood and correctly used, the outline is one of the most powerful weapons in a writer's arsenal. [/quote]

Or the biggest disaster. No harm in checking it out and seeing if outlining will work for you, but don't feel like a failure if it doesn't. I wouldn't have written anything if I'd outlined. ;)

noob
Private E-1

Postby noob » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:27 pm

[quote="ostarella"][quote="noob"]But when properly understood and correctly used, the outline is one of the most powerful weapons in a writer's arsenal. [/quote]

Or the biggest disaster. No harm in checking it out and seeing if outlining will work for you, but don't feel like a failure if it doesn't. I wouldn't have written anything if I'd outlined. ;)[/quote]
==========

the wd tip just emailed pointed to writers dig by brian klems with a guest columnist

Mention the word outline in a room full of writers, and you’re sure to ignite a firestorm of passionate debate. Writers either love outlines, or they hate them. We either find them liberating, or we can’t stand how confining they are.

[b]My experience has been that more often than not, those who swear they dislike outlines are thinking of them in the wrong ways. Outlines are not meant to trap you into preset ideas or sap your creativity before you start the first draft. Outlines are also definitely not meant to be lifeless Roman-numeral lists.[/b]

read the whole essay here

http://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/7-steps-to-creating-a-flexible-outline-for-any-story?utm_source=wir&utm_campaign=wir-nl-bak&utm_content=958974_EDT_WD170725&utm_medium=email

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:56 pm

I know a great deal about outlining in all its various forms, so no, it's not that I don't understand them or am somehow "thinking of them in the wrong way". I'm simply one of those writers who prefers to write the story instead of ideas about the story that may or may not end up in the final version. Mainly, I disputed the statement that an "outline is one of the most powerful weapons in a writer's arsenal". It's not. It is a tool that works well for some and backfires for others. As evidenced in "discussions" with another on the forum, I object to the implication that outlines *should* be used or *are* the best way to write. It's too dogmatic. Something every writer should at least try? Sure. But it's not going to guarantee success, nor will being unable to work with an outline guarantee failure. It's merely one method.

noob
Private E-1

Postby noob » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:10 pm

[quote="ostarella"]I know a great deal about outlining in all its various forms, so no, it's not that I don't understand them or am somehow "thinking of them in the wrong way". I'm simply one of those writers who prefers to write the story instead of ideas about the story that may or may not end up in the final version. Mainly, I disputed the statement that an "outline is one of the most powerful weapons in a writer's arsenal". It's not. It is a tool that works well for some and backfires for others. As evidenced in "discussions" with another on the forum, I object to the implication that outlines *should* be used or *are* the best way to write. It's too dogmatic. Something every writer should at least try? Sure. But it's not going to guarantee success, nor will being unable to work with an outline guarantee failure. It's merely one method.[/quote]
======

does WD offer a class in that method ?

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:49 pm

[quote="noob"]does WD offer a class in that method ?[/quote]

Never looked. It's not like WD is the last word in writing advice, anyway, so it hardly matters.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:44 am

ostarella - do you get the feeling that a certain banned user has returned under a new user name?
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:12 am

[quote="pls"]ostarella - do you get the feeling that a certain banned user has returned under a new user name?[/quote]

Oh yeah. I figured that out when I saw another of his posts using the same formatting. Until then I thought it was just a new guy needing to be exposed to other ways of thinking.

noob
Private E-1

Postby noob » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 pm

[quote="ostarella"][quote="noob"]does WD offer a class in that method ?[/quote]

Never looked. It's not like WD is the last word in writing advice, anyway, so it hardly matters.[/quote]
========

who is the last word then?

WD seems to be a BIG word and helped many writers over many decades

noob
Private E-1

Postby noob » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:30 pm

[quote="ostarella"]I know a great deal about outlining in all its various forms, so no, it's not that I don't understand them or am somehow "thinking of them in the wrong way". I'm simply one of those writers who prefers to write the story instead of ideas about the story that may or may not end up in the final version. Mainly, I disputed the statement that an "outline is one of the most powerful weapons in a writer's arsenal". It's not. It is a tool that works well for some and backfires for others. As evidenced in "discussions" with another on the forum, I object to the implication that outlines *should* be used or *are* the best way to write. It's too dogmatic. Something every writer should at least try? Sure. But it's not going to guarantee success, nor will being unable to work with an outline guarantee failure. It's merely one method.[/quote]
========

well ....

as a one time professional writer
and at times part time writer while working other jobs where i had to write

i would say that organising is the best tool available
and that if you organise then the outline pops out and is easy to do

then writing with a road map of where you are going is so much easier

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party