Conundrum

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
J_Mansfield
Private E-1

Conundrum

Postby J_Mansfield » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi there!

I'm nearing the completion of my second novel and I ran into a fairly rare scenario where my character makes an audible noise, then goes immediately into an inner thought. My problem is that I don't know the best way to write it. I was, however, advised by a writer friend that inner dialogue should remain consistent throughout as far as whether or not the inner dialogue includes "she thought" or "she figured" or what-have-you after the inner dialogue. Below is the example I'm struggling with.

"Hmph." Is that it? Disappointing.

As you can see, my character is making an audible noise, then she jumps into an inner thought. Do they need to be separated by a line break? Should I add a "she thought" at the end of the inner dialogue? Are there even any hard rules about such an occasion? I like the idea of keeping all inner dialogue free from "she thought" and have it all stand alone, but I'm not sure I can do that here. If I can't, I need to make the other instances of my dialogue consistent with this one. Thanks in advance for the advice!

-James

J_Mansfield
Private E-1

Re: Conundrum

Postby J_Mansfield » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:30 pm

FYI - "Is that it? Disappointing" is supposed to be italicized, but it wouldn't let me post the message unless I removed the formatting for some reason.

Return to Writers' Block Party