[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Anyone want to help me with an idea? : Writers' Block Party • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Anyone want to help me with an idea?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
williamadams

Re: Anyone want to help me with an idea?

Postby williamadams » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:17 pm

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:25 pm

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:36 pm

William, will you PLEASE quit telling people that pantsing fails for "most people". It fails for YOU. YOU are not EVERYBODY. It works great for a lot of successful writers. Your stubbornness in this is not helping people - rather it makes them think they have to do it your way when your way will not work for them. We're not all cut from the same cloth, okay?

Geez. I see some things haven't changed. :evil:
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

Lbeauchesne
Private First Class

Postby Lbeauchesne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:52 pm

Formerly known as MsMotty/Linzi82

Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them so that others may also share in our triumphs.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:17 pm

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:29 pm

clearly you tried to do more than was useful

but isnt it easier to describe the city and where the events are if you had a map
buy a map or google and print it
post it on a wall
use it at a glance to guide you

you should not obsess about details
details come later

you need the outline the structure or a blueprint
just as a guide

isnt it far easier to finish the house after it is framed from the plan you sketched
then you can decide the floors cabinets appliances next
where to put the outlets what colors to use yada yada

but trying to build the house while describing the details is the way to fail

and if you have a big house then you certainly need an architects plans to make sure everything fits

i was a student at the uni for years
and was a prof at a uni too

people who dont have time to plan try to pants
when all the competition is pantsing the quality is low
and you look good by comparison

if you had a major paper you would have saved time and done better by planning
and if you had a thesis you would have to plan or not meet the deadline

===========================
your comment:
[quote/
I tried for many years to do planning. As I have stated, I get obsessive about the smallest detail, to the point of writing paralysis. As an example, a few years ago, I wanted to do a scene set in Lyon. I was writing fiction. I literally became so obsessed about the layout of the city, the location of the markets, what was sold on what day and where, how busy they are, the feel of them... that I couldn't continue either planning or even start writing the scene until I had visited the city.

Just because I have lots of unfinished ideas doesn't mean I have failed. Nor have I written myself into a corner. I have so many ideas that are unfinished for 2 reasons. Either I have found a part of the idea to obsess on, which I want to research further (or need to visit a location to get the feel) or because another idea has popped into my head while I'm working on that one and I just haven't found time to go back to it yet (as my friend says, 2,000 ideas a minute. That and I'm a final year student).

And to conclude, if pantsing is such a fail, please tell my uni lecturers who have consistently graded me in the 80-90% for every assignment I've done so far. Every single one of those was "pantsed" as they wouldn't have been submitted on time, otherwise. Or will you claim that I must be attending a bad university?[/quote]

Lbeauchesne
Private First Class

Postby Lbeauchesne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:27 pm

Our goal in life is to overcome obstacles placed in our way without destroying them so that others may also share in our triumphs.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:20 pm

I am telling you what i observed as a student, grad student, and professor.
believe it or dont.

i never said pantsing does not work for anyone.
i said it works for a very tiny number out of the entire set of writers
and taht planning works for the vast majority of writers

you experience the city by travelling around it if you should need that feel
but you dont get any feel by pantsing about what you think it might feel like

you will get more substance in your first draft if you have a guide to what you need to write
much more than if you dump some stream of consciousness stuff on the paper and hope

Really?!
Do you want to tell my lecturers that I can't have met a single deadline because you think pantsing doesn't work for anyone?
I have met every deadline I have been set on my course. You know what makes it even harder for me? My first language is English, my second language is Welsh. I am studying in German, so I have to write every assignment in my third language. Because I am possibly moving to France to do my masters (because my fellow countrymen don't like immigrants I have to look at beating the Brexit deadline in 2 years to avoid returning to a county I don't want to live in and possibly conduct my marriage long distance), I have had to translate my dissertation into French for submission to those universities.
I'm looking at graduating with honours. Not too many students who make the move I did can say that.
If you think that a honours degree in Biochemistry is failure, then I really pity you.
And as you should understand as a writer, the devil is in the detail. Yes, you can look on a map. But how does the city feel you cannot get that from a map. You have to experience it.
For me, to write about a city is like Jean Michel Jarre's La Defense concert in 1990 versus his 2011 Monaco concert. I can look at photos and watch the video, but I wasn't at La Defense so I don't have a feel of the atmosphere or whether it was the better concert. I was lucky enough to attend the Monaco concert so I can describe the atmosphere, the excitement, the thrill of discovering that Jarre was making his entrance through the crowd, shaking our hands as he made his way to the stage, the slight sea breeze that played havoc with the laser harp... If I just gave you the photos or a video of the concert, you couldn't get that sort of detail no matter how much planning you did, you couldn't write something even half decent set during that concert. If you haven't experienced Karneval in Koeln, you can't write something about it that makes the reader think they are experiencing it, that they are actually there during Karneval.
You come across like you think first draft has nothing to it, basic outline: X did Z to Y. For me, I want substance in my first draft, this means detail, emotion.
If you think that wanting that emotion and feel in something is doing more than is useful?[/quote]

Lbeauchesne
Private First Class

Postby Lbeauchesne » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:09 pm

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:23 am

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party