[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
2017 Reading Challenge : Writers' Block Party • Page 6 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

2017 Reading Challenge

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
cjr1977
Private E-1

Re: 2017 Reading Challenge

Postby cjr1977 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:14 pm

Book 11: Mindspeak by Heather Sunseri

This was a fast paced novel full of action and intrigue. It's from the YA genre thus a quick read. This is one of five in a series and I definitely plan on reading the rest of the series.

hammer

Postby hammer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:34 pm

4. The Blight of Muirwood by Jeff Wheeler *****
5. What She Knew by Gilly Macmillan ***

cjr1977
Private E-1

Postby cjr1977 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:44 am

Book 12: Mindsiege by Heather Sunseri

This one starts exactly where the first one leaves off. Considering most of the story is already set-up in the first book and there was no additional set-up in this one it was a little slow to start but ended at the same quick pace as the first one. On to the third one.

cjr1977
Private E-1

Postby cjr1977 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:30 pm

Book 13: Mindsurge by Heather Sunseri

Okay I've been procrastinating on my writing and reading instead. Now my days off are gone and all I've done is read but that's okay.

As with the second book the third one picked up right where the previous one left off. This one was fast paced all the way through. It was quite enjoyable. There are two more books in the series, I've already started the next one.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 10:45 pm

13. A Good Scent from a Strange Mountain, By Robert Olen Butler. ****1/2. This won the Pulitzer a couple decades ago. They are all short stories told from the POV of a Vietnamese-American. I liked the stories and the writing very much, but I think people would be screaming "cultural appropriation," as the author is American of European descent.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:11 pm

14. The Gettysburg Review 30:1. I've submitted to this magazine, so I figured I better read an issue. It's definitely "literary." I didn't much like the fiction, but the nonfiction was very good. One of the narrative nonfiction pieces seemed like it had an unreliable narrator, which was a new thing to me.

15. The Tempest, by William Shakespeare. I'm in the cast. We'll be opening in a couple of weeks.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:59 am

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

cjr1977
Private E-1

Postby cjr1977 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:11 pm

Book 14: Tracked by Heather Sunseri

Book 15: Deceived by Heather Sunseri

These two seemed to have quite a few undeveloped plot points when compared to the first three. They were still good but the first three were better. These two were each written more as standalone stories than something connected to the first three books although they both mention events which occurred in the first books. I think the thing I had the biggest problem with was the voice. The first three books were written in first person and all with a single POV character. These two were also written in first person but switched back and forth between two characters, one of the POV characters in Tracked was new but the others were all from the previous books. The thing I struggled with was the narrator still spoke as the original POV character and didn't have the voice you would imagine knowing these other characters, they just sounded like the same narrator as the first ones.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:30 am

20. Tread Softly on my Dreams (Robert Emmet's story) by Greta Curran Brown.
Part of a series about Ireland's struggle for self-government. At times, I was truly ashamed to be English, although I had absolutely nothing to do with what happened so long ago. It was a prime example of "man's inhumanity to man".

21. Desert Queen by Janet Wallach.
Janet Wallach's book was the April choice for our local library's book club. I found it very hard going, and it evinced no admiration from me for this extraordinary woman, Gertrude Bell. Some of Ms. Wallach's sentences were fifteen lines long; I counted them. She piled clause on top of clause, and I frequently lost the thread of the sentence, added to which the type was miniscule. The only section I enjoyed reading was the Afterword (or something to that effect) where at last I recognized that Gertrude Bell had truly been a Person. I disliked this book so much that our librarian suggested I read another biography about her.

22. Gertrude Bell, Desert Queen, Shaper of Nations by Georgina Howell
By comparison, Georgina Howell's biography gave a much better description of events, although at times it felt as if I was reading Janet Wallach's version again. This is understandable, given that both authors quoted widely from the same sources, but I believe this book was published first. I learned much more about the exceptional work that Gertrude Bell did for the Red Cross during WWI in the Wounded and Missing Enquiry Department, which happened before Gertrude made her name in Arabian politics. One aspect of this book irked me, however. By page 153 I had learned of the gallant death of Dick Doughty-Wylie in November, 1915, and expected to read what Gertrude did after his loss. But no, instead the reader is thrown back to a fuller account of events between the summer of 1913 and Dick's death, which lasted for 76 pages - almost a seventh of the whole book. Having read the same quoted passages in Janet Wallach's book, and then twice in Georgina's, I felt capable of reciting those passages word for word.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:00 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party