2017 Reading Challenge

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
DrG2
Colonel

Re: 2017 Reading Challenge

Postby DrG2 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:37 pm

71. A Prayer For The Dying, by Stewart O'nan. **** A man who is constable, undertaker, and reverend for a small Wisconsin town, shortly after the Civil War, has to deal with a diphtheria epidemic and an approaching wildfire. The epidemic takes the lives of family, friends, and neighbors, and he descends into darkness. The fire destroys the some folks he was trying to save, and he is left contemplating how much of the death was his own fault.
well-written, well-paced. a very good story.

72. The City of Ember, by Jeanne Duprau. The two main characters, a boy and girl who have just finished their schooling at age 12, live in a city under the ground. Though they never realize it's under the ground, it's just the way it is. They run into corrupt officials and depleted supplies, and stumble into a way out. The setup at the beginning was losing me, but once things started, the pace was brisk and the story became much more enjoyable. They later find a diary of one of the founders of the city, which ties up a ton of plot holes in the setup, but seemed pretty contrived to me. It was "good-ish," but I don't think I'll read the later books in this series.

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party