[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Is social media/texting ruining writing for the kids? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Is social media/texting ruining writing for the kids?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ItsMeKD
Private E-1

Is social media/texting ruining writing for the kids?

Postby ItsMeKD » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:59 pm

Hello,

My name is Karyn. I love to write! Took it in school as an elective. My husband is in school and he is doing an opinion paper regarding social media and it's effect on kids and their future. I'd love to get other people's opinions on what they think, as you are all writers. He needs to ask people their opinions. Preferably the positive effect it has. I think it's negative, but my husband thinks it's positive. I'm interested to hear others opinions and their reasoning.

Thanks

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Is social media/texting ruining writing for the kids?

Postby cynicalwanderer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:26 pm

Welcome to the forums, Karyn.

My take on the debate is that young people are still writing just as much, and just as deeply, in this new-media world as previous generations did with pen and paper or stones and chisels. Whenever hand-wringing complaints by older folks are voiced about the "tragedy of lost literacy" and so on, if you drill down into it, the main points of contention are usually around a lack of respect for grammar, obscure l33t-sp34k abbreviations and other coined slang, or the fact that a product made from pulped trees is no longer a prerequisite for the printed word. To which it could be argued that every generation makes their own changes to the language, taking ownership of it in their own way, and who is to judge what is right or wrong so long as the main purpose - of facilitating understanding between the writer and the reader - is met. And as for paper versus electronic, well... as much as I too love the tactile joys of holding a paperback, I appreciate the space-saving and convenience of my Kindle as well.

So all in all, to offer my opinion to your husband's question, I'd say that no, social media has not ruined writing; it has certainly changed and broadened the reach of people being able to communicate with each other, and yes there is plenty of poorly-worded, narcissistic dreck as well as good writing and insights, but then again, even in the old days there was still plenty of dreck being published anyway, so the only thing that has really changed is the scope and the passing of the baton. And until the day comes when a massive solar flare wipes out all our phones and we DO have to revert back to stones and chisels, that's all well and good.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:11 pm

I guess I'd say that it's not social media per se, but the seeming inability of people to use proper grammar, spelling, and vocabulary when they're NOT on social media. They seem to think everyone will understand the ever-changing shorthand of social media, then get angry or derisive when they discover that's not the case, and on top of that, wonder why other people have no idea what they're trying to say. It's a bit like going to a foreign country and expecting everyone to speak your language.

And btw, it's not just "older folks" who see this as a problem. My son sees this in his job, and frequently rants that his "supposedly educated" colleagues can't write a simple sentence that makes sense. Chatting is fine - informal, quick, here today, gone tomorrow; actually communicating more complicated thoughts and ideas requires some work.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:34 pm

I'll move this to a more appropriate forum.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Noizchild
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Noizchild » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:32 pm

Yes and no for me.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Rosedarling
Sergeant

Postby Rosedarling » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:27 pm

Yes. 'nuf said. :mrgreen:
Formerly known as rosebud.

writerlincoln
Private E-1

Postby writerlincoln » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:11 pm

This pretty much sums up what I think of texting.
Practice is practice.
My site:

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:54 pm

I wish you could see how many people we have to retrain in manufacturing because they've practiced and practiced - they've got the wrong way of doing things down pat.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:37 am

miketom
Sergeant

Postby miketom » Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:38 am

Formerly known as J T Hall and Lyn Carceo
Creator of a hanson/dragon/dinosaur world

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party