[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Your favorite allegorical stories : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Your favorite allegorical stories

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
InspiredHome
Private E-1

Your favorite allegorical stories

Postby InspiredHome » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:39 pm

I'm looking for suggestions for excellent allegorical novels or short stories as I'm planning a novel in the vein of Pilgrim's Progress and the Narnia series (though not as overt). It doesn't matter the genre--I'd just like to study allegory in depth. Thanks so much in advance!
My chief desire in all my writings, is to exalt the Lord Jesus Christ and make Him beautiful and glorious in the eyes of people; and to promote the increase of repentance, faith, and holiness upon earth. ~ J.C. Ryle

Noizchild
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Your favorite allegorical stories

Postby Noizchild » Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:24 pm

Dante's Inferno.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Rosedarling
Sergeant

Postby Rosedarling » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:58 pm

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis
Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyun
Formerly known as rosebud.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:14 pm

I quite like the various Zen Buddhist koans, which I guess are probably more parable than allegory. I don't have any source material to recommend though, sorry.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Return to Writers' Block Party