[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Chapter headings & inserting new ones??? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Chapter headings & inserting new ones???

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Rosedarling
Sergeant First Class

Chapter headings & inserting new ones???

Postby Rosedarling » Sat Nov 12, 2016 12:25 am

Can you marking off your chapters with ***** when you know you'll make changes and insert new ones?

Most of the time I come up with a new idea or find the need to add more information after reading over my story. If I label chapter along the way (Chapter 2, 3, etc.) in a first draft, I inevitably have to go through the whole novel and change all of them. I thought if I just mark off the chapters then go back during the final read insert the headings it might save time.

Anyone have a better idea? I'm not that far into the story.
Formerly known as rosebud
https://rosaliehovis.wordpress.com

The Fantastical
Private E-1

Re: Chapter headings & inserting new ones???

Postby The Fantastical » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:21 am

:) I don't see why not....
“Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.”
― Douglas Adams, Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:22 am

Sure, whatever keeps you moving forward.

Once you've got your first draft, there will inevitably be restructuring needed at some level anyway, so if deferring the chapter break decisions until later is what lets you power ahead at full speed now, then by all means do so.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Rosedarling
Sergeant First Class

Postby Rosedarling » Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:06 am

Thanks. Normally i have clear cut chapters but this time I'm jumping because my MC has flashbacks or flash forwards, you might say. She has recurring dreams that inevitably come true. So I'm trying to keep things straight. Hence, the question.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sun Nov 13, 2016 6:01 am

Rosedarling
Sergeant First Class

Postby Rosedarling » Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:53 pm

Yes. But now it's hard to find the place to insert. I think I'll use the *****1,2,etc. to mark certain places and go ahead and put the chapter headings in. Thanks for your comment.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:42 pm

In my most recent NIP, I didn't know where to put chapter breaks and just put in scene breaks until I was finished, and figured out where to break into chapters later.

but it's trivial to change chapter numbers - - just open a search window and type in "chapter" and you can easily jump from one to the other.

Rosedarling
Sergeant First Class

Postby Rosedarling » Tue Nov 15, 2016 7:11 pm

Return to Writers' Block Party