[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Does anyone still know how to push a pencil? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Does anyone still know how to push a pencil?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
steve-in-kville
Private E-1

Does anyone still know how to push a pencil?

Postby steve-in-kville » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:00 pm

I was reading through some old threads and came across the Desktop setup thread from a few months back. I see many are happy to type away on laptops while on the sofa and such. But I still enjoy doing my journaling and first drafts with pen and .99 notebooks. Personally I don't care what you do, but I'm a bit old-school.

Is the pen & pencil dead??

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Does anyone still know how to push a pencil?

Postby shadowwalker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:35 pm

Not at all. While I prefer to use a keyboard (keeps up with my thoughts better), if I'm stuck or need to think a little more thoroughly about a section, pen and paper work wonders (even with all the lining out and side notes :D )
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:16 am

I still write story notes on paper sometimes, particularly when I get a "shower idea" that needs to be jotted down right away before I forget it. But the actual writing is all on the computer. I'd get carpal tunnel if I tried to do the whole thing longhand.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

devildogwhite
Private E-2

Postby devildogwhite » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:41 am

I used to write all the time in a notebook. I tried again recently, nothing huge just some notes for a class I was taking, and my hand started cramping up after barely filling one page! Suffice to say, I'm probably going to stick with a keyboard from here on out.
There is no Miss Zarves. There is no nineteenth story. Sorry.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:47 am

The only time I actually write is when I prepare Christmas cards. I break out the old Parker 51, fill it with green ink (which I formerly used when I was grading papers), and away I go. And yes I have to take breaks so my hand doesn't cramp up.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:21 pm

when I write poetry, I first go with pencil. there's something about doing it like that that helps with creativity. also, when I write notes down for anything, including my writing. but I do prefer to type short stories and novels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:32 am

I use to write everything on paper but it gave me a lot of arm and hand cramps. The only thing I jot down on paper now if a note here and there if it's all I have. So, I do nothing but type now. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Thu Nov 03, 2016 4:35 am

I keep scratch pads around for ideas. That is about the only writing I do by hand. Like many, I used to write by hand but I put that habit away about twenty years ago.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:40 am

Some very famous writers still write everything longhand, including Neil Gaiman. Thousands of writers write most of their first drafts in longhand. Many also still use manual typewriters. Writing in longhand automatically accesses the creative center of the brain, which makes sense because we don't write letters, we draw them. For some unknown reason, manual typewriters do the same almost as well. Computer keyboards do not do the same. I still write in longhand, and still send out letters written the same way.

Rosedarling
Sergeant

Postby Rosedarling » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:00 am

Formerly known as rosebud.

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party