[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
building an audience : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

building an audience

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ophie30
Private E-1

building an audience

Postby ophie30 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:37 pm

I am trying to build an audience for my story and i was wondering if anyone had any pointers? I would really like some feedback on my story as it progresses

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Re: building an audience

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:45 pm

Hard to advise....because so few people are truly reading anymore. This is the era which has killed reading. If you're a humble, unknown, genuine writer --but with zero 'recognition'--the www is almost your only option these days. It is the saddest statement ever, but true. Short attention span rules the market: you get two seconds and then you're forgotten.

Seems like the whole world is a junior high school girl's lavatory gossip clique now. Fashionable and trendy products sell, word-of-mouth sells, conformism sells, conventionalism sells. Unless you 'play along', you have faint chance at widespread market share. There's just too much competition from other sources.

Lots of urbanites are now so self-absorbed with their own socializing, they're probably hard put to wonder why they should read books at all. Why maintain an interior life? It takes work. The superficial, exterior world of chatter is so alluring. Thinking with depth, acting with deliberation, feeling authentically, building curiousity... this is 'out'. People want their thinking done for them. It's not a great period in history to be an author.

Just sayin.
Last edited by TwoStepCharlie on Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blow up the bridge?!

Carly Berg
Corporal

Postby Carly Berg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:18 pm

I don't think you can build much of an audience with one story. Or if you can, you'd be quite the outlier. It's more like perfect that story and get it published or put it up on your blog or whatever you can do to get the widest audience possible. Then write another story and do the same. Rinse and repeat. In the meantime, try to get those published stories re-published again and again.
My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

Carly Berg
Corporal

Postby Carly Berg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:18 pm

Or if you want feedback, that's kinda separate from building a following. In that case, I'd say join one or more critique groups. Best to get the feedback before it's published, when you still have a chance to improve it.
My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

tiffanyreyes
Private E-1

Postby tiffanyreyes » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:33 pm

I've read a number of articles stating how it's a good idea to build an online community around your writing. So, in other words, maybe start a website, or use social media. I am in a similar place where I'm trying to build an audience (while also just trying to meet new people in the writing world), and to do this, I've started a blog, created a Twitter, Instagram, am working on a Youtube channel. That might sound kind of weird for some, but I think you'll be surprised at the number of readers using these platforms who will find your work. They'll start "following" you as you work on your story and your community will slowly build and hopefully, by the time you are ready to publish or whatever your plans are, you have some people eager to read it.

This is only my opinion of course and one way of doing things. :) Just an idea. Either way, good luck.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:50 pm

Have you published the story yet? And if so, was it trade published or self-pubbed?

If unpublished, well, I've never seen the point of trying to build an audience for a book that may or may not see the light of day. But then, I don't even read published writer's blogs (I'm interested in books, not authors).

If it's trade published, I wouldn't worry about it too much. It can't hurt to do a blog (unless you find your foot in your mouth, of course), but the publisher will deal with most of the heavy work.

If it's self-published, then yes, blogs, social media, maybe "guest-star" on some other author's blog - anything to get your book noticed. (Not my route, so don't know all the facets of that.)
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Return to Writers' Block Party