[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Mind Gum : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Mind Gum

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Mind Gum

Postby Brien Sz » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:07 am

My goal for this summer was to clear out a bunch of work. I cleaned up two books - one still has a touch more tidying up. And I pretty much cleared the deck on a collection of short stories I wrote over the past year. Sorry, I am not one of those who can write each page to perfection before moving on. My plan is to complete these projects by mid/end of September. I wanted to be done by Labor Day weekend, but a bout of summertime pneumonia put a dent in that plan.

My dilemma is my next project. I've been telling myself that the next idea will reveal itself in good time. I have several ideas, and none have given me that YES! moment that propels me into focused determination as other projects in the past have.

One - an old manuscript that I wrote a couple of years ago and tossed deep into the shadows of a drawer, has risen with a new idea I believe will help reshape what I once thought was a pretty good concept. The book went away after completion because it had too many POV's and became overly complicated. I believe I have solved the issues with my new idea. The book is a thriller.

Two - A whole new idea that I have sketched a few notes on. Again, a thriller.

Three - A fantasy novel that has been germinating since... well, for a long time. It's had several start-ups and stops. A few new ideas have percolated of late.

Four - A sequel to one of my other books, though it hasn't attracted the attention of any agents, I just enjoy the idea - it's post-apocalyptic.

As you can see, my mind of late is all gummed up, and I am having a hard time choosing. I want to write all of them at once but that is not reasonable. I feel I have fallen victim to paralysis by analysis and am looking for any pseudo-psychology that might be helpful in moving forward.

devildogwhite
Private E-2

Re: Mind Gum

Postby devildogwhite » Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:15 pm

There is no Miss Zarves. There is no nineteenth story. Sorry.

cj741126
Private E-1

Postby cj741126 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:29 pm

My opinion and it's only an opinion, is to write what you have collected the most notes and information on, if you think you can finish it. If your goal is to finish one in a reasonable time frame why not do the "Old Manuscript" that you believe you've solved the "issues" with. If you've solved the problems whether they were the plot, characters or whatever aspects but you've ironed them out, well then fix it and be done with it and put it on your bookshelf not the shadows of a dark and cold drawer never to be seen again..

Frank321
Private E-1

Postby Frank321 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:55 pm

Given the state of my poverty, I would choose spending my time on the project that is most likely to bring significant money to me the most quickly. As you might guess, I do not have anything finished.

I have two short stories in process, but the money I might get paid for those is not what I would call significant.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:07 am

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Frank321
Private E-1

Postby Frank321 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:40 am

Yes, I well know that there is a reality few writers earn much money. The other part of reality. I will see my primary doc tomorrow. I will tell the doc they must immediately fix my arthritis and diabetes because I need to start earning money doing heavy manual labor. I suspect my doc will laugh and say after my Cardiologist clears me to do that heavy manual labor after open heart surgery, stents I already have had.

I suspect there is a statement that writers will only make beans and hot dog money, after they are absorbed into a publishers wealth building business.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:02 pm

One pf those projects should call louder than the others, should be I'm your mind more often. That's the one to write. But in a very real way, it doesn't matter. As long as you enjoy writing it, it can be written in a way that will MAKE it sell.

It is possible to predict what editors want, and professional writers do it day in and day out. Not everyone can make this prediction, and only a tiny few can write something well enough to make an editor say yes, but what editors want is no secret. Be it novel or short story, what they've bought from other writers is what they want, only with some bit of originality thrown in, and with quality writing. You don't have to predict anything, you just have to be capable of writing something good, something, as the saying goes, just like everything else, only different.

Return to Writers' Block Party