[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Can anyone advise please......big dilemma : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Can anyone advise please......big dilemma

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Isa Halley
Private E-1

Can anyone advise please......big dilemma

Postby Isa Halley » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:16 pm

I'm not a native speaker. I wrote a non-fiction book in English, which is my second language. I'm feeling a bit insecure about the fact that I'm not a native speaker. It's another BIG HURDLE to getting published and I'm worried that agents/ publishers may be xenophobes....??

What shall I do?

Option 1.

Shall I be upfront about English being my second language and me being a foreigner, just say in my first email.

Option 2.

Shall I say nothing about it initially and be judged only on the merit of the book and IF there's any interest then tell them.

I'd be grateful if someone could offer some thoughts- honestly, it's a big worry.

MANY THANKS GUYS

jackblossom
Private E-1

Re: Can anyone advise please......big dilemma

Postby jackblossom » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:32 pm

Personally, I would mention that English is your second language. Capitalize on that, because English is a second language for a lot of people, in the US at least. I think that the right publisher would definitely accept that and help you out/ give you the right platform.

Hope this helps somewhat!

devildogwhite
Private E-2

Postby devildogwhite » Mon Aug 29, 2016 5:00 pm

There is no Miss Zarves. There is no nineteenth story. Sorry.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:37 pm

I would definitely mention it; otherwise, regardless of the level of mastery you do have, they're going to notice the little glitches and that could lead them to the wrong conclusions, and thus a rejection. If they know it from the beginning, they'll be more willing to ignore the glitches and look at the story itself. They'll also be prepared to deal with the additional editing.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

cj741126
Private E-1

Postby cj741126 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:55 pm

What about asking a few "beta readers" that speak English as their native language? If that's even an option.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 5:05 pm

agents and publishers want to make money, so if they think your book will sell they won't care where you come from.

I don't think you need to mention that English is your second language. In your query mention where you are from: that should be sufficient.

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Sat Sep 03, 2016 9:10 am

Guys, thank you SO SO much for all your responses. I found them really helpful. God bless you!

G.E.Plum
Private E-1

Postby G.E.Plum » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:13 am

I have no experience with this subject, but I don't see any reason to mention it at all to an agent or publisher. If they ask, OK, be truthful, but otherwise I don't see why it would matter.

Return to Writers' Block Party