[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How much do you write per session? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How much do you write per session?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ChaoticTheorem
Private E-1

How much do you write per session?

Postby ChaoticTheorem » Fri Aug 19, 2016 12:58 pm

Always wondered how much people write whenever they actually get to it.

Personally, on an average day, I write about 600-800 words in a 30-45 min session. On a good day, I can go all the way up to 1200 words in the same amount of time. Is that good? Bad? From what I've seen, it seems my average is fairly underwhelming, but I'm not entirely sure.

How long are your sessions? How much do you write per session?

DrG2
Colonel

Re: How much do you write per session?

Postby DrG2 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:19 pm

for first drafts, 500-1000 words per hour. one hour to ten hour "sessions," though I'll eat/drink/pee/take out the dog/etc. during the longer sessions.

heyharris1
Private E-1

Postby heyharris1 » Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:20 pm

for me it all varies depending on how much I work, some days I cant write at all cause I work 16 hr shifts, other days i may only write a paragraph and yet other days I will write a whole chapter.
Jim

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:16 pm

I write five hours per day, five days per week. I almost always break these five hours into two sessions, and write a minimum of 1,250 final draft words per session. From all I've read and seen and heard, 1,000 words per hour is about average for a professional writer.

The part of your post that worries me is, "whenever they actually get to it". If you have to "actually get to it", your word count per hour is meaningless.

devildogwhite
Private E-2

Postby devildogwhite » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:26 am

I've never actually paid much attention to how long I spend writing everyday. For me it's still more of a hobby instead of a profession. Most days I pump out about 2,500 words, but that's sporadically throughout the day. I'll pull out my laptop any time I have downtime to write a little bit. I still have issues with writers block though, and some days I can't seem to put more than a couple coherent sentences together.
There is no Miss Zarves. There is no nineteenth story. Sorry.

glynisj
Private E-1

Postby glynisj » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:57 am

The length of my sessions varies dramatically. There's days when I write only 250 to 300 words. Other days I'll write over 2000. True, usually those shorts days are also spent with developing characters or settings, or doing research on something I want to incorporate into the story. Probably my average hovers around 1000 to 1200. Days per week are usually seven.

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Sat Aug 20, 2016 12:41 pm

I don't count, I just write.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:29 pm

it all depends

what am i writing
is there a deadline
is this a draft or am i doing edits

so it varies quite a bit on the situation and context
but i would say 1500 words = 6 double space typed pages at a time for a clean draft would be an average session output which could be as short an an hour or might take several hours

it goes without saying but needs to be remembered that before the writing comes all the research and a lot of organising and planning. and dont pay no nevermind to the time used for marketing and education as well as sick days and vacation.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Aug 20, 2016 3:30 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:49 pm

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party