The company one wants

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
M-Control
Private E-1

The company one wants

Postby M-Control » Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:47 pm

So I'm writing a story as I'm sure most of us are doing. Since most of you are doing it I was wondering, you ever feel like your made up characters are not enough company? Don't get me wrong, my characters in my stories are practically my imaginary friends. I hang out with them everyday but something is missing. I'm currently a college student going for creative writing (not to be a novelist, my school doesn't teach that, I'm going for video game plot writing). I though being in this art school, I would meet others like me. People who are enthused about writing. But I haven't so I continued to look for someone I been looking for since I started writing. That is simply someone to say, "how's the story coming?" I know it sounds stupid and most writers seem only to need themselves and their stories to be content. Really though, I would like someone, even if they're pretending, to take interest in what I'm doing. Not even my family has ever really supported me when I write (well actually, they are helping me pay the Ks on this school). So I'm curious, you guys have someone to occasionally ask you how things are going in the writing department or do you not really care to have someone like that? I guess we're all different but I love my story and that's why I want to share with many as I can but for now, while it's still just a draft, I want someone to witness it come together with me.

ChaoticTheorem
Private E-1

Re: The company one wants

Postby ChaoticTheorem » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:59 pm

I sometimes enjoy when people take an interest in my writing, but I don't really care for it.

Writing is a very cerebral process, and I can see how someone might want some external validation whenever they do partake in the task, but don't rely on that same validation to give you the "motivation" it takes to continue writing.

Just my two cents.

Rosedarling
Sergeant First Class

Postby Rosedarling » Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:12 am

Thanks for the invitation M-Control. Personally, I haven't been content with just my characters. I took some time off the job scene so I could focus on my writing but lo and behold it hit me that without human contact I couldn't come up with anything decent to write. I lost my 'voice'. So back to work I go.

I think it's interesting that you have characters you want to spend time with and are content with that. as for finding others who would be interested in listening and sharing your work, try the library. They usually have events for writers to meet.
Formerly known as rosebud
https://rosaliehovis.wordpress.com

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:23 am

I've come to accept that there won't be anyone in my regular life likely to show much interest in my writing. While if I asked, I'm sure family and friends would wade through my stuff out of a sense of duty, they're generally not going to be fans of the genre I've written in, or keen readers, or of a critiquing mindset - and that's okay. Those are the limitations of that audience. As far as writing groups, forums, and the like - while you may get some decent reciprocal feedback, most of those other writers are by definition going to be primarily only interested in their own stuff, so you can't force engagement there either. Mostly it's people talking at each other. Best, I think, to write for yourself and yourself alone, and generate your own internal passion for your characters and story. If later on you garner some fans who love your fictional world after you're published, and those fans buy into the same passion you've also felt while creating it, then great. But during the writing itself, understand that you, the creator, may end up being the only one who loves your creation, and write within that.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Return to Writers' Block Party