[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Any Christian Writers Here? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Any Christian Writers Here?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
G.E.Plum
Private E-1

Any Christian Writers Here?

Postby G.E.Plum » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:58 pm

I'm starting a new thread because others took my old one, made a bunch of assumptions about my reasons for starting it, then ran away with their own discussion without bothering to ask me why I'd started the thread in the first place.

I started the thread for three reasons.

1) I was surprised to find that no Christian publishers I have found are accepting manuscripts from anyone but agents. I think that is sad, because part of being Christian is working together to help each other. I believe they would be inundated with unsolicited mss if they were open to them. Still think it's a pity.

2) I was glad to find that one of these publishers posted a link to Christian literary agents. Then I was disappointed to find that only a very few of those agents are members of the AAR. I just found a WD website that says this should not be a big concern; I still wonder why more (or all) of the Christian agents recommended by this publisher are not.

3) I was surprised to find that a lot of the Christian paperback romances on two of the "big name" Christian publishers are "Amish" romances. Anyone here know the reason for this? Is Amish romance really that big a seller among non-Amish Christians? With all the Christian writers out here trying to get a foot in the door, seems a balance of Amish and non-Amish titles would be nice.

devildogwhite
Private E-2

Re: Any Christian Writers Here?

Postby devildogwhite » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:50 pm

As far as your first concern goes, most major publishers are this way. Christian or not, can you imagine how many garbage manuscripts any publishing agency would receive if they allowed submissions from everyone? They would never be able to review all of them and many quality manuscripts would lost among the sea mediocre ones.

I can't really speak on the other two, but I can't imagine the AAR (Association of Author's Representatives?) is the authority when it comes to literary agents. I'm sure there are others on this board who will be able to address your concern on more accurately than I can.
There is no Miss Zarves. There is no nineteenth story. Sorry.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:42 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:36 am

I gave you a reply in another thread of yours. Here's what I wrote. Is this what you were looking for?

Re: Discouraged About Publishers

Post by Oldtimer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:52 am

You might like to contact Jerry B Jenkins. He gives writing and publishing advice, I believe, on his website http://www.jerryjenkins.com. I considered studying with him when I was a member of Christian Writers, but never took that step.
Here is what Wikipedia says about him: Jerry Bruce Jenkins is an American novelist and biographer. He is best known as co-author of the Left Behind series of books with Tim LaHaye. Jenkins has written over 150 books, including romance novels, mysteries, and children's adventures, as well as non-fiction. His works usually feature evangelical Christians as protagonists.
Good luck with your writing. :)
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Frank321
Private E-1

Postby Frank321 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:26 pm

Not pointed to just Christians, but:

Near the bottom of the page is info about agents:

http://www.prestonchild.com/faq/writing ... art140,175

Return to Writers' Block Party