[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Opinions on the latest Harry Potter book : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Opinions on the latest Harry Potter book

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Frank321
Private E-1

Opinions on the latest Harry Potter book

Postby Frank321 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:20 pm

"Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" just arrived at my house yesterday, 8-2. I find the characters mostly, accurate to JK Rowlings world, but not as engaging to me personally. Dumbledore's portrait said some interesting things. I am impressed how the book was accurate as to how humans go through life making dumb decisions. I guess I did not really give away any secrets. Not sure if the book was worth the money, given how desperate my personal situation is in needing to pay off credit cards instead of reading.

Am I jealous of JK Rowlings success? Not sure if the emotional part of me would confess. The rational part says she deserves it, and more power to her.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Opinions on the latest Harry Potter book

Postby cynicalwanderer » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:01 am

It's written in stage direction format, right? I don't mind reading screenplays for practical purposes, but I can't get properly immersed in one presented as a pseudo novel. The format is just too distracting for my tastes.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:02 am

My daughter enjoyed it. She loves this world.

As an aside. I tried reading the first Harry Potter novel twice and was bored before fifty pages in. My daughter, both times, said it gets better after that... It struck me strange how all this sage advice that circulates about writing page turners and sucking in your reader in the first ten pages, etc... and Harry Potter, for me at least, was an absolute bore. But God Bless her for her success. I have seen a couple of the movies as well, but for whatever reason, found them to be somewhat boring as well.

devildogwhite
Private E-2

Postby devildogwhite » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:01 pm

There is no Miss Zarves. There is no nineteenth story. Sorry.

ALShonce
Private E-1

Postby ALShonce » Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:18 am

I enjoyed the settings of the books, but the characters were flat. What do we actually know about Harry Potter as a person? What's his favoite color? What are his hobbies? Yes he plays quidditch, but really, what does he like to do in his spare time? Read? Play cards? Play chess like Ron? Oh wait, he did try his hand at that with mixed results. The only clothing color actually chosen is the color of his dress robes, but that was picked out by Mrs Weasley because of the color of his eyes in Goblet of Fire.

This is where an author needs to sit down and find out these things about your characters and weave it into the story. Pardon me for using my own character but Aden's favorite color is azure blue. I never come out and say this, but I reflect it in his choice of clothes, (he wears an azure headband for instance) his quilt on his bed and his dusty datapad [computer] case, which sits beside his also dusty drums and his clarinet case. Aden has a technology allergy. He cannot be around anything with tech without it exploding on him. Nor can he play music without feeling weird. All this is explained later in the story.

I read the first page and just couldn't get into it. I've read screenplays and enjoyed them but I just couldn't get into this one. Maybe the play is better. She needs to sit down and write it as a book. Not a script. Her name will only get her so far. Think of it this way, remember that Aflack guy, who voiced the parrot in Aladdin? Gilbert Gottfried (I had to google him) He made some jokes at a tragic time (actually the second time it happened) and completely wrecked his career. What's the moral of this little story? A name can only allow you to get away with so much before you trash your name beyond repair.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:04 pm

ink it' brilliant, extremely well-written, and exactly what was needed for the time and place. I believe it's going to lead to even better things.

Return to Writers' Block Party