[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Guys, I've got headache, please tell me to stop :-) : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Guys, I've got headache, please tell me to stop :-)

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Isa Halley
Private E-1

Guys, I've got headache, please tell me to stop :-)

Postby Isa Halley » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:01 am

Okay, here it comes. I can't stop editing. It's because every time I go through it again, there are things to correct and the manuscript gets better. To be honest I dread the thought that I would send it to the agents and there would be an unspotted typo or a misplaced word there. And it will ruin my chances. It will look unprofessional and sloppy.

But I have a massive headache now! I'm drained to the last drop.
Can someone spare a second to give me some wise advice?

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Guys, I've got headache, please tell me to stop :-)

Postby shadowwalker » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:42 am

First, are you sure the ms is actually getting better, or is it just different?

Second - give yourself limits. You can edit for X amount of time or X number of times and then you must move on, never to return. Either way, you stop the cycle of revising/editing/rewriting. Remind yourself that no manuscript is ever perfect - that's why publishers have editors.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:43 am

Thanks so so much Shadowwalker! It makes so much sense. Yes, actually I got to the point when I cross a sentence, write a new version, look at it again...and go back to the original sentence. Clearly, THIS IS THE TIME to stop. Thanks for pointing out that publishers have editors for a reason is SPOT ON!

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:04 pm

Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:07 pm

Oh wow, never thought about this! Thank you u.v.ray . What a friggin nightmare that would be! I would refrain from re-reading my published book, because if I spotted a mistake there, it would just freak me out.

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:21 pm

But I think I'm done with revising, just can't take this anymore. I FEEL I've done well and it's time to put the pen down. Let it be.

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:24 pm

Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:46 pm

Oh poor you! It must have been a dreadful moment. I think no one is immune to it and probably at the time this 'touch of poor wording' was very good, otherwise, you'd correct it. Writers are evolving all the time.

It's brave of you to flip through your published novel. I think I will be like those actors who don't want to see themselves on the screen...

Return to Writers' Block Party