[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Steve Berry's writing rules : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Steve Berry's writing rules

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

Re: Steve Berry's writing rules

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:42 pm

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:17 pm

MatthewTM
Corporal

Postby MatthewTM » Sun Sep 25, 2016 4:45 pm

Looking at these as absolutes is a bit problematic, even focusing on thrillers. Although if you wrote a book applying these rules it's not going to necessarily make a bad book (or a good book for that matter). But IMHO it's really interesting for someone to be able to break down their style and to some degree elements of their voice like this.

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:04 pm

In general I have no problem at all with this guy's little rubric's.
(Not for the least of which reason being that I don't work in his medium).

But it's an interesting read and I thank you for posting these.

I readily agree with his chirrup that 'there are no rules'. Rather, I think that--if you're good enough--you can bend almost any rule.

I also agree with what he says about today's moth-minded readers. They can't cope with anticipation, suspense, or build up. Sad.

Nevertheless, to me that does not mean I should kowtow to the lowest common denominator reader out there. If I have what I think is the next 'Day of the Jackal' then, I would try to write my thriller just as well as Frederick Forsyth wrote his. That is HOW to write a thriller. That is best practices.

Who is Steve Berry after all? His tips are mildly useful, but is he Elmore Leonard? No. So I don't particularly care how famous he is. A lot of johnny-come-latelys always claim some temporary, short-lived fame. I always ask, 'famous according to who'? This is the age of easy fame. Lasting caliber is much harder to achieve.
Blow up the bridge?!

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party