[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Representation...? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Representation...?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
thomaslast13
Private E-1

Representation...?

Postby thomaslast13 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:59 pm

Dear everyone,

This is my first posting on this site so first of all - Hello!

I am an aspiring young writer (UK based) and have so far completed the first draft of my novel (historical fiction) and a number of short stories, one or two of which I have had the good fortune to see published with small online groups. I have struggled to find many short story competitions and have learned that most publishers will not consider novels from unknown writers.

The answer seems to be to try and gain a literary agent to represent my interests but I was hoping that as a wider community, some of you out there could offer me advice on this! Is this the best way to move forward? Where should I look? What sort of terms should I seek?

Apologies for the similarity to another post, but this is much broader than the previous topic and I don't want to take over someone else's query. Any/all advice would be enormously appreciated!

Many thanks,

Thomas

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Representation...?

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:44 pm

Most publishers are looking for new writers. But most publishers also only want to deal with agents, as it cuts down on the crap. Some small publishers will look at un-agented work, but the larger outfits just don't have time or personnel to deal with the volume.

It takes time to find the right agent, of course, but they are well worth it when it comes to getting your work to the right publishers, negotiating contracts, and getting advice on publishing in general. They can help you with the finishing touches that can make the difference between getting published and putting it in the drawer.

Unfortunately, I'm not at the point with my ms to be actively researching agents, but the first step is to find out who has handled other books similar to yours, and see if they (or their agency) has a website. Their guidelines should be listed there. Start building your list, and in the meantime get your ms polished to the best you can get it - then start working on your query, which can be every bit as important as the book itself.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Frank321
Private E-1

Postby Frank321 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:57 pm

Is the UK different than the US. Thinking BREXIT might have changed some of the rules for Copyright in UK versus all of Europe. Altho I guess worrying about that from a Writers standpoint is not productive. Perhaps some of the more knowledgeable (than me) forum members might describe the scammers who try to pass themselves off as writer agents. What was the rule of, "never pay a fee to have your novel read." There was a agent scammer in Texas whose home-office was raided. Those who did the raid found lots of unopened manuscripts. Some of these manuscripts these scammers had gotten money, extra fees, from Authors to have fixed by a professional Editor. There was one author who told the story of having allowed an agent publisher to re edit their manuscript, which had nominal changes, character name changes, other changes of no consequence to the plot, story, character development, also received almost nothing of the Royalties.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:34 am

I'd recommend getting one of the writing marketplace yearbooks that have massive listings of agents and publishers. Unfortunately I've been out of the game for so long and the last one I got was an Aussie one a decade ago, so I don't know which are the good ones anymore, or which ones have a UK focus. I'm sure a search on Amazon should turn up some possibilities - I'm seeing one called "Writers Market Deluxe Edition 2017" which looks popular, although it may be US-centric. Maybe someone else here can chime in with some advice.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:23 am

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Thu Jul 21, 2016 4:21 pm

As has already been said, larger publishers are unlikely to consider work unless submitted through an agent.

However, smaller publishers will. And I know a number of writers who gained publication with a small publisher who were subsequently picked up by larger outfits.

Never baulk at the smaller publishers, they are the engine of innovation.
Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

thomaslast13
Private E-1

Postby thomaslast13 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all the advice - really positive and helpful. I hope to let you know how I got on a little further down the line!

Best wishes,

Thomas

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:36 pm

Return to Writers' Block Party