[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Long Stories on a Blog Post : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Long Stories on a Blog Post

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Long Stories on a Blog Post

Postby Loren Killdeer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:54 am

Hello there!

I need help from more experimented writers! Do you have a blog? An story blog?

Since some weeks ago I have been working on some stories, and I really want to publish them on my writer blog. The thing is that the ones I have published before aren't as long as this stories!

Most of my works are usually really short, two pages long. But these works are five pages long, and I can understand if someone doesn't want to read them! I usually don't read that much on my computer and when I see that the blog post I'm reading continues and continues I feel a little tired. Most of bloggers says that a blog post should never be so long, it's counter-productive.

So, I was wondering if I should publish my story in chapters (two chapers, or three), one blog post after another. Or if I should post it all at once. What do you recommend? What have you done in this situation?

Thanks a lot for reading!
Loren K.
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Long Stories on a Blog Post

Postby cynicalwanderer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:06 am

If they're of suitable length, why not just go ahead and submit them for publication? You have to start your writing career sometime, and getting practice at researching the right targets to submit to (and copping the requisite number of rejections too, of course) is par for the course. Be brave! Take the first step from blogger to pro.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:22 am

But I don't want to publish them with an editor. First of all, money money money, I'm poor! Second, any social plataform, well used, is a way more extensive that any publication. Because of the same, it's free for read, you get in touch with people. Third, is five pages long. No one is going to publish just one story.

Most of writers that I follow are bloggers and had best chances to publish their work afterwards because they already had a public. That helps a lot to sell when you already have followers.

I don't want to make a living with my writing, I don't want to stress myself with this. I want people to read me, that's why I choosed a social platform to work on, even if it's hard at first. I had problems with my career and now that I have more free time I'm decided to work this out.
There is nothing wrong to be a blogger, unless you are a bad blogger.
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

Rosedarling
Sergeant First Class

Postby Rosedarling » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:40 am

Then do your blog the way you want to. Although cynicalwanerer's advice is sound you seem adamant not to get paid for your writing.

I've read blogs that had chapters and looked forward to coming back for the next one. That might help you build a loyal audience.

Good luck.
Formerly known as rosebud
https://rosaliehovis.wordpress.com

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Thu Jul 21, 2016 5:20 am

Also bear in mind that to be a successful blogger and build up a lot of followers requires a lot more than just posting content and hoping people will find it. You need to be highly active in social platform marketing, in building up your profile and your referrer network to maximise the number of links to your site, and so on. It can take a lot of work to reach the breakthrough discovery point where you're getting new traffic from word of mouth. I'd even say it's more work to go it alone down this path than to be just dealing with an editor in the first place!

Anyway, if you are determined to go with the blogging option, I'd encourage you to scour the web for information about the stuff I've mentioned, for boosting your traffic. You'll also benefit from reading up on advertising options (Google Ads are probably the default to check out here), since if you do become successful with the site, you'll most likely want to have banner ads bringing in revenue that way.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:32 am

I prefer shorter blog posts to read and so I make mine short, too. If it's a short story or a series that is longer than three pages, I break it up.
Readers will return if they like what they see. So, do what you feel works for your blog. What do you normally put up?

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:25 pm

Sorry for the delay on answering.

Rosedarling (love your nickname, it's cute), sorry if I sounded rude before, it's just that I already have a work and an study. This is the only thing I do for pure fun xD I now you can do this for fun and get pay, I work as a freelance illustrator, so I know that. But for the same, I already had dealed with losing the fun on your hobby because you can't make the ends meet. If I write, I want it to stay as funs as it is for me.

Also, if working with editors is like working with clients, god save me. I won't, at least, not now!

Cynicalwanderer, yes, I know that! I know that is quite hard, but know that I'm finishing with my studies I know I'll have more time for this. I'll work this out, thanks for the advise!

Max, well, that's a good idea. I had posted shorter stories before, I just didn't know what to do with the long ones. Thanks a lot!
― Mark Twain

chrislaf
Private E-1

Postby chrislaf » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:45 am

Rosedarling
Sergeant First Class

Postby Rosedarling » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:31 pm

Formerly known as rosebud
https://rosaliehovis.wordpress.com

Return to Writers' Block Party