[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How do you cope? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How do you cope?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Isa Halley
Private E-1

How do you cope?

Postby Isa Halley » Sun Jul 10, 2016 6:38 am

Dear Fellow Writers,

I've been on an intense writing Journey for a long, long time now and it's getting really hard lately because I'm absolutely exhausted.... I'm very close to wrapping it all up, but every step I take now is painful, as I have no energy left in me because I put all my mental energy into this project.

I'm not taking any breaks from writing. Because of various reasons, I need to finish this project asap. I write/ edit during the weekend and spend time on this on most evenings during the week. Goes without saying, that I have a full- time day job as well.

Also, I keep thinking about the next step... asking for representation/ sending it out to agents and THIS is nerve-racking. Will someone show interest? What if this life long Dream will fall flat?
What if I was just kidding myself all that time? All sorts of things are bubbling in my mind. This is exhausting too.

I know that lots of are in a similar situation. How do you cope with these pressures? Have you got any advice/tips how to survive and thrive during the Writing Journey?

Exhausted Isa

kamalayka
Private E-2

Re: How do you cope?

Postby kamalayka » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:33 pm

You just cope, I guess. I can't really relate but I recommend writing regardless of how you feel.

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:03 pm

That's how it is all the time. There is no rest. There is no escape. Ever. There are no holidays from being a writer. It's always inside you, chipping away at the foundations of your being until there is nothing left and you slip away into the final abyss.

Like Charles Bukowski said: only dying will solve its power.

Give up all hope of a solution.
Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:35 pm

Because... If you're not writing or editing you're thinking about writing.
Sweet misery. But I guess that for published writers it's a different game?

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:37 pm

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:21 pm

Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:18 pm

It was a general comment. I had in mind writers who are able to focus solely on writing without a distraction and torture of a day job. If I was officially a writer and didn't have to do 9-5 five days a week I wouldn't be so exhausted. It would be a different game for me. That is what I mean. I would have time to write and to relax. At the moment, there's not much time to relax and focus on other things that are important to me as well. Well, when I finish this book, I'll be able to unwind. If I don't die from writero- exhaustera....

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:36 pm

Most of the time I write for 10 - 15 hours a day. I usually get up at 5am and quite frequently I write until 10pm or even well into the night again. There's a few breaks, but not too much.

There's also promotion of one's books -- they don't just sell themselves. Plus quite a few other matters that constitute the business side of writing.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:48 pm

Gallons of coffee, cigarettes, pounding away at the keyboard in a darkened, wood-paneled study, barely eating- the whole shebang? Now seriously, writing 10-15 h a day is very impressive! Commitment is the key.

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:16 am

“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party