[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Revising ...Forever : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Revising ...Forever

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Isa Halley
Private E-1

Revising ...Forever

Postby Isa Halley » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:19 am

Hi again,

I've got a question about revising- when is enough? I can't draw a line... I just keep going and keep going. There's always something to change. I feel I can't stop until everything is perfect.
Is that what you do as well? I'm probably on draft 40 now.....

I just want to know if I'm doing the right thing, everyone says 'just send it to Publishers/Agents and if it needs corrections they will do it'... but from what I've learned it's not like that. They expect a ready to go manuscript that only needs minor revisions. Is that correct? Also, everyone is telling me...stop revising because you'll spoil it... I can see a point here. You can't win....

SO, what is your view on revisions? When should you stop? Can you share any experiences/ tips?

Thanks a lot!

pls
Site Admin

Re: Revising ...Forever

Postby pls » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:27 am

40 revisions? Seriously?

Stop it. I wrote my 11 novels and went through each once or twice afterwards to look for typos. That was it before it went off to the agent or got self-published. I had confidence in my ability to produce quality writing the first time around.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Sat Jul 09, 2016 10:14 am

Thank you for your reply Pls. I'm very impressed with the number of novels you wrote!
This is my first book. It's a non fiction book, so it all has to be very clear and accurate.
I just want to give it my best shot.
Also, English is my second language, hence I'm ridden with self- doubt sometimes. But this is not why I'm revising. I think that my English is good enough. Well, there will be some minor slips...but I can't help it. It's about the content. It needs to be logical, in the right order and it needs to flow. I can't have the reader thinking oh, I'm lost here. I can't afford that.

But I am so friggin tired from revising it for ages. Can't wait to put it to one side! - at some point, I will have to pluck my courage and say ' ok, this is it'

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:32 pm

The time to quit revising is when you're changing things but not improving them. It sounds obvious, I know, but writers can drive themselves nuts rewriting and rephrasing and the quality doesn't get better - it oftentimes gets worse.

Allow yourself X number of changes or X amount of time for revising - then move on. Period.

And keep your earlier versions - when it comes to the final reading, you may find you a use for them.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:22 pm

Thank you for your reply Shadowwalker- excellent and very useful piece of advice. At the moment, all the changes that I'm making are definitely improving my book and making it more coherent. I'm also deleting some 'weak sentences'...and so forth and there are chapters that I'm not touching at all because they are fine.
Thank you for advising to keep earlier versions!

Carly Berg
Corporal

Postby Carly Berg » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:46 pm

I think there are a couple of step missing here, in between you going over it yourself and sending it out to agents or publishers. In my experience, work that's had no eyes on it but the writer's- especially if it's a newer writer's or non-native speaker's- tends to not be especially publishable.

I think you should stop re-hashing it yourself and get into a critique group, first. The trick to using critiques is to consider everything but don't change anything that you're not sure about yourself, even if you only end up using a small percentage of the suggestions you get. Put it through one chapter at a time, then for courtesy, be sure to fix any problems you find there throughout the rest of the book before posting those chapters for review. Also, critique for others in return. For me, critiquing for others was the single most important thing that improved my writing. There are a few dozen typical amateurish errors and once you recognize them in other people's work, you stop making them in your own work.

Then, you're ready for beta readers, whose job is more of a once-over than having the need to line edit it. Critiquers catch the smaller stuff. But since they're in and out a chapter at a time, they don't see the overall picture and can't help you with plot holes, etc. You can ask those whose crits were especially helpful to beta, or just take anyone since you'll only be making changes that you understand and agree with anyway.

In my opinon, after all that is when it's ready for submission and when it will have the very best chance at an acceptance. Good luck!
My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:19 pm

when your changes only make your manuscript different, not clearly better, it's time to submit.

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:38 am

Thanks a lot DrG2

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:21 am

Isa Halley
Private E-1