[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Grammarly- proofreading? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Grammarly- proofreading?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Isa Halley
Private E-1

Grammarly- proofreading?

Postby Isa Halley » Sat Jul 09, 2016 9:11 am

Hi Fellow Writers!

Do you use Grammarly or any other online program to proofread your books? Is it safe and secure? I must admit I'm precious about my writing and want to be sure that when I upload something to Grammarly, no one else will see it.
I contacted them AND they confirmed that it's all being stored on their servers, hmmm, I don't like it... But at the same time, I'd like to run it through a proofreading program to be on the safe side...

Any thoughts? Is everyone ok with it, and just me freaking out about this?!
Have you got any recommendation for a proofreading software that you can download onto your PC?

Thanks loads everyone!

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Grammarly- proofreading?

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Jul 09, 2016 1:35 pm

Personal opinion only, but software will never replace the human eye (or mind).

Read your stuff out loud. Best method I've ever used for proofreading, and well worth the time.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Sat Jul 09, 2016 3:31 pm

I agree, human eye is always the best. I'm not sure if reading it aloud would work in my case- I'm not an English native speaker.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:37 am

grammar software can help, but I suggest you use the text it flags as prompts to find out what's correct.

As far as someone wanting to steal you work on Grammarly - - not happening in a million years.

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Sun Jul 10, 2016 4:39 am

Thanks a lot. Good to know :)

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:11 am

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:34 pm

Thanks James. That was helpful. I only don't agree that MS Word is the closest thing to good grammar. Grammarly is far more 'sensitive'.

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:23 am

First time I've read abot Grammar Softwares. Interesting!

Usually, when I translate to english I look a lot in dictionary, and, I know, it sounds stupid, I use the google translator. I get a bunch of text and see how it traduces from english back to spanish and that is when I get what sentences are ambiguous and poorly written. Use the translator to read your writing out loud, it will help to visualise your typos or anything that sounds strange.

But, the same, human eye is more efficient than the machine. Get a friend you can drown in your works, and he/she'll help!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

Isa Halley
Private E-1

Postby Isa Halley » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:23 am

Thanks a lot :) Yes, that's true.

Mohamed Ali
Private E-1

Postby Mohamed Ali » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:25 pm

Grammarly is to grammar what the "Mephisto Plot Computer" is to story plot. A tool that does a bad job of something you can do better. I'm not confident of my use of grammar or syntax, it is a second language. Even so, I try to apply myself by picking up books on the areas I feel weak in when it comes to writing. Then I write for the sake of practice.

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party