[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Romance Writing Topic : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Romance Writing Topic

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Noizchild
Lieutenant

Romance Writing Topic

Postby Noizchild » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:07 pm

What does it mean when your beta couple is far more interesting than your main couple?
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Carly Berg
Corporal

Re: Romance Writing Topic

Postby Carly Berg » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:09 am

Maybe that you should let the two couples switch places?
My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:32 pm

In musical comedy, there is usually the main romance couple and the "juvenile leads" which are either comedians or dancers or both.

I'd raise the stakes for the main couple.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:23 am

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:02 pm

Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:19 am

I have usually find secondary characters more interesting than primary characters. But that's because primary characters are more related to the reader, they have virtues and flaws. Secondary characters are more free to be whatever thye be, and the reader don't get to know them as deeply.
Make your beta couple help your main couple to shine! Make the main couple relate to the reader.

Best of lucks!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:13 pm

Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you

Return to Writers' Block Party