[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Balancing Act : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Balancing Act

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
MyCreativeJunction
Private E-1

Balancing Act

Postby MyCreativeJunction » Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:47 pm

Hi all,

I'm new here and hoping people might be able to give me some advice.

I've always wanted to write a book and over the years i've stopped and started a few times. The main problem i seem to encounter is time, i just don;t have enough of it. i want to write and i really enjoy it but i have to work a 9-5 job and have family commitments so unfortunately sometimes writing has to take a back seat.

Recently i've taken up blogging in an effort to give me a creative outlet because i find currently writing and publishing a post can be fit in between my other commitments.

Does anyone have any tips on how to balance everyday life with writing and creating a book?
Aspiring author and blogger

creator of www.mycreativejunction.com

@mycreativejunc

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Balancing Act

Postby cynicalwanderer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:27 am

Yes it is tough to find the moments when you're part-time and have a whole lot of other stuff going on in your life. Some tips I've heard over the years:

- Wake up an hour early or go to bed an hour later. Dedicate that hour to your writing. Make heavy use of coffee to sustain the new regime
- Negotiate with your family to rearrange various commitments to give you prearranged, uninterrupted blocks of time. This could mean setting aside a particular time each day or a whole afternoon on the weekend. Or it could mean telling them this is important to you and asking them to take over certain chores or other commitments for a period of time while you do your thing
- Keep a time diary. Identify blobs of time being spent on leisure activities or other nonessential stuff that can be culled. Then make the hard call as to which is more important: your weekly Game of Thrones ritual with the half bottle of red, or your writing?
- Depending on what sort of job you have, sometimes you can slip some writing in there. Even if not doing the actual prose, you can often be thinking about your writing and planning plot points ahead of time in your head. If your job permits idle moments, you could jot down notes between customers or something like that. I once knew a guy who wrote the bulk of his book at work, with his finger constantly resting on alt-tab in case the boss walked past
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Carly Berg
Corporal

Postby Carly Berg » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:07 am

Well, if you don't want to use that little bit of blogging time to slowly complete a novel, you could write short stories or flash fiction (stories under 1,000 words) and put them together as a book after you get enough of them (and send them out to magazine and anthology editors in the meantime). Story collections by one unknown writer don't tend to sell very well but imo they're fun to write.
My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

MyCreativeJunction
Private E-1

Postby MyCreativeJunction » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:25 am

The time diary certainly sounds an interesting concept, might give that one a try.

Don't think i've ever considered flash fiction but i reckon it would certainly be doable.

I realise the blogging could effectively take away time that could be spent writing a novel but i guess at the moment i am just enjoying writing something that actually gets put out into the world

@mycreativejunc

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:20 am

The first thing to do is acknowledge that writers don't "find" time for writing - they make time. You make time to write the blog. You could use that time to work on your novel, but you choose not to. We all make choices like that every day, and not just about writing. When writing your novel becomes a priority and not just wishful thinking, you will choose to make the time for it.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:19 am

You can write while:

in a car
in a bar
drinking tea from a bell jar.

watching a toad
carrying a load
dictating while traveling on the road.

on a plane
watching the rain
in your brain while on a train.

in a boat
watching a goat
remembering stories of dragons and moats.

there is no balancing time for story
you simply must find your own glory

write it here, write it there, write something, anything, everywhere.

cynicalwanderer

Postby cynicalwanderer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:18 am

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

MyCreativeJunction
Private E-1

Postby MyCreativeJunction » Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:29 pm

@mycreativejunc

cynicalwanderer

Postby cynicalwanderer » Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:56 pm

MyCreativeJunction
Private E-1

Postby MyCreativeJunction » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:25 pm

@mycreativejunc

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party