[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How to type something up in a final manuscript : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How to type something up in a final manuscript

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
dkelahan
Private E-1

How to type something up in a final manuscript

Postby dkelahan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:10 pm

Hi! My name is Debbie. I finished writing a story a while back, but am having a hard time figuring something out and how to type it. Without giving too much away, my fantasy story has someone reading an incantation from a book--it rhymes a little, too. How on earth do you type this out properly in a final manuscript? I looked high and low for an answer on this one, but can't find it anywhere without going by what a published novel already has in regard to this, but then that is not exactly how a manuscript would look like when it's submitted, I would think.

So... D o I italicize it, put it in quotes (after all, a character is reading it), indent it twice and type each stanza on each line as I go down the page typing it like a poem would be, or what? Help! Do I double space it, too? Or, just leave it single spaced? Anyone's advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

By the way, I hope I am in the right place (it says that new users have to be in the introductions) and am following the right directions to be here. I don't want to be deleted before I get my answer to my manuscript, which I am desperate in finding already. :D

Sincerely,
Debbie

pls
Site Admin

Re: How to type something up in a final manuscript

Postby pls » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:06 pm

I'll move this to a more appropriate forum.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:11 pm

Here's the basic manuscript form: http://www.shunn.net/format/novel.html

I'd strongly suggest against using italics and propose an indent of the entire incantation instead.

dkelahan
Private E-1

Postby dkelahan » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:01 pm

Do I still double space? Still use quotes? No quotes? How much indentation? Indent once, or indent twice? Thanks! Sorry to be so specific, but I don't want to make any mistakes for the publisher. You know how that can be! Thanks again! :)

Debbie

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:37 am

You'd single-space the insertion and not use quotes, assuming you're submitting a paper manuscript.

Rosedarling
Sergeant First Class

Postby Rosedarling » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:37 am

Formerly known as rosebud
https://rosaliehovis.wordpress.com

Return to Writers' Block Party