[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
keeping the flow going : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

keeping the flow going

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: keeping the flow going

Postby cynicalwanderer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:06 am

Perfectionism is certainly my fatal flaw. I am still yet to beat it. It's probably what's made the difference between me writing for a hobby versus the possibility of writing for a career.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

devildogwhite
Private E-2

Postby devildogwhite » Thu Jun 23, 2016 12:52 pm

There is no Miss Zarves. There is no nineteenth story. Sorry.

Frank321
Private E-1

Postby Frank321 » Mon Jul 04, 2016 8:21 pm

Any of you who complain about perfectionism being and obstacle also Outline? Sounds like an Outline might help to propel some things. That is not advice as I have neither finished a novel, and not much of an Outline either.

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:52 pm

Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

kamalayka
Private E-2

Postby kamalayka » Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:48 am

Well, I think the most important thing is to want to write. Sometimes writing feels like squeezing water from a stone, but I still enjoy the process. Regarding confidence, who's confident 100% of the time? I've sold a few short stories so far, and there were moments in each of them when I felt it was utter garbage. Just let a finished project sit for a few weeks and work on other stuff.

And don't force yourself to write beyond your point of mental exhaustion. Not every writer has the same temperament. Stephen King allegedly writes 2,000 words a day, and Hemigway claimed he only wrote 500 words a day. I write two hours a day, which usually produces 900-1,100 words. (So like 500 words an hour, give or take?) Maybe your temperament is less than that. Maybe it's more. If you manage 500 words a day, five days a week, that's 2,500 words a week, which is 10,000 words a month, which is 120,000 a year. Slow and steady wins the race.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jul 11, 2016 11:38 am

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:13 am

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:12 am

I don't know, but I think the best writer is the one that keeps on writing even if the world turns against him.

What I could recommend is to always finish your proyects. Go on and don't look back until you have the first draft complete. Finish everything you start, and I mean everything. New ideas will come after, don't force them.
And even if I get stressed, I'm studying and woring at the same time, I usually keep on thinking of my working each hour of the day. So every time I have left I expend it on it.
I get up early. At seven, and my family gets up at eight. So I have an hour and a half to write, and I usually get three pages done by them. Or four pages corrected. I then to correct a lot, and re read a lot. Squeeze the time until is worth it.

Best of lucks!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:19 am

Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:29 am

“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party