[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
keeping the flow going : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

keeping the flow going

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Frank321
Private E-1

keeping the flow going

Postby Frank321 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:28 pm

How do you keep the flow going until you finish your project? Whether it be short story, novelette, novel. While my excuses of how I keep getting interrupted to not accomplish doing anything on one day are not important to what I am asking here. I suspect those who are successful writers find a way to keep on track until their project is finished.

I am not sure it is true, I read once that Anne Rice, while writing, "Interview with the Vampire," basically locked herself in a room for six weeks and worked non stop. I know that is not possible for me, I have to go the grocery store. I keep having medical issues. Nothing like going for a stress test to interrupt ones mental flow.

I suspect other writers here have found a space in time to keep going. It can be difficult. It is easy to visualize parts of sentences and ideas of conflict while going through the day, just it is not part of what gets into the word processor that day. More frequently than not, nothing makes onto my typed page.

I am open to hearing how the well known writers do it. I have heard that Stephen King, in his beginning years wrote on a typewriter in a corner sitting on a stack of books. Somewhere I read he said that he wrote two pages or so each day. He usually never changed any part of what he wrote, including punctuation. Yes I know, Stephen King wrote a book, "On Writing," which is really funny.

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: keeping the flow going

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:41 pm

Every writer has other things on their plate, so it's a matter of making the time. Turn off the TV; get up an hour early, stay up an hour late. Write on lunch break; take a note pad with you to doctor appts; dictate while driving.

One of the best pieces of advice I ever heard for anyone having trouble finding time for anything was to keep a time diary for 1-2 weeks. Everything you do, you jot down when you do it and for how long. Don't change anything - just keep track. At the end of the period, you'll be surprised how much time is wasted - and where the time blocks are where you could be doing your writing.

Note: writing when you're ill is sometimes impossible. Don't beat yourself up over that, but unless you're actually disabled with it (flu, chemo, etc), don't use it as an excuse either. Learn the difference between can't and won't. :)
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Thu Jun 16, 2016 1:16 am

Yes a time diary is a good idea for helping to identify little blocks of available time, and making plans from that. Even tiny five minute chunks here and there are enough to at least spend time thinking or jotting down notes. I have an app on my phone that I'm constantly jotting down notes and plot hole fixes in, for later transcription to my official notes file on the computer.

These days a laptop (or tablet) can be a great boon to writing. Got an hour-long commute to work on the train? There's an hour's worth of elbow-jostled writing available to you. Same for coffee shops, waiting rooms, etc. And even when that's not an option, you can still think about your writing. Many's the time I've stood in the shower until the hot water was all used up, getting inspiration and solving blocks.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

TWErvin2
Private E-2

Postby TWErvin2 » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:42 am

Self-discipline and making the writing project a priority. It may not be the top priority--family obligations, job, necessary home repairs and maintenance, etc., but it has to be a priority, or completing the novel or story will never happen. And self-discipline, when the time is available...actually sitting down and writing.

Writing can be fun and interesting, but it is also work which requires concentration and effort, and often with no guarantee of success in the end (however that is measured by each writer).

Wishing you luck and success as you press forward.

CheshireUK
Private E-1

Postby CheshireUK » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:33 pm

The way I do it is to allocate a 1-2 hour period each day at the same time. Bit like when you go to work at certain times. I also follow this by an hour reading something a couple of days a week.
I never seem to have enough hours in the day, but I really want to write my novel. If I give everything else priority then it will never happen. For years I hardly read a fiction story (except on christmas hols). Yes, I will get days when I sit and cannot go forward. Then I either read something that gives me inspiration or go out and look for inspiration. There is usually something that makes me suddenley think 'I know what comes next!'
Then I will jot down the idea so it reminds me. Then when I can get back to my 'writing space' - alone, I can get stuck into it. I am a writer that need peace and quiet to do the necessary work.
Hope this helps, though everyone is different. :)

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:46 pm

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:43 pm

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jun 20, 2016 2:01 pm

Other than an occasional stint as an editor, primarily to keep up with what's going on in that side of the business, I've been a full-time writer for thirty-seven years. After all this time, this question, and ones like it, still surprise me. You keep flow going by making writing a priority, which is not difficult for most successful writers because their goal is not to be a writer, it's to write. These are very different things.

Whether as a teenager or an adult, Stephen King as much as he could write, and did so pretty much every day. Even when working at a large laundry shortly after marriage, broke and living in a trailer, he would come home, and completely exhausted, would still write in the tiny laundry room such a trailer has.

Writers write. It's really this simply, though I think successful writers love to write enough to find a way. It's how they most want to spend their time. You don't find time to write, you have to MAKE the time to write, and this often means not doing something else, whether it's watching TV, spending time with friends, etc.

Dean Koontz doesn't write up to seventy hours per week because he has to write. He has enough money to retire on several times over. He writes up to seventy hours per week because he loves writing.

Most of us find some balance that gets the writing done, and still allow time for friends, family, job, or whatever else we must do. Unless a tight deadline pops up, or unless I say yes to too many projects, which happens all too often,I write five hours per day, five days per week. Nothing take away my writing time. Not family, not friends, not fire, not flood, not pestilence. During those five hours, I write 2,500 words. On the rare occasion when I don't hit the 2,500 mark, I keep writing until I do.

Anyway, how to get enough writing done, how to keep up the flow, how get enough words written, etc., such questions are not easy to answer because the successful writers I've known all have the opposite problem. They want to know how to get anything else done because writing is using up all their time. When I first started writing, back in the Stone Age, I almost couldn't stop. I'd write a dozen short stories in a weekend. I wrote my first novel in twenty-one days. Writing was new, fresh, exciting, and I sat and wrote, wrote, wrote, everything else be hanged.

Writers write. At least successful writers do. Successful writers also do other things, such as study, learn the business, stay away from self-publishing, at least until the prove they can write well, but primarily, successful writer plant butt in chair and write, day in and day out. Writers write, no matter what. It's a decision you make early on. Do this for a time, and it gets to be a habit. You don't feel right unless you plant your butt at the appointed time, and get the words written.

devildogwhite
Private E-2

Postby devildogwhite » Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:18 pm

My biggest problem with writing has never been motivating myself to sit down and write, that part comes easy for me. What I really have a problem with is writing something I'm satisfied with. I'll write two or three chapters into something, then when I go back to do edits I find myself thinking "no this is all wrong," or something of that nature. Line after line I change, reword, adjust, until I get to the point total frustration and I delete the whole manuscript. I've been working for the last month on the same book because I just never feel like it's good enough.

Anyone else have this problem?
There is no Miss Zarves. There is no nineteenth story. Sorry.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:59 am

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party