[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Historical Non-Fiction Writers Thread : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Historical Non-Fiction Writers Thread

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Nathen
Private E-1

Historical Non-Fiction Writers Thread

Postby Nathen » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:42 am

So all, I am new to this forum but have yet to find any detailed threats dedicated to the Historical Non-Fiction writer. There must be some of you out there. Lets use this thread to exchange ideas, tips, advice etc.

My name is Nathen, I am 30 years old and living in the UK. I have had a long time interest in writing but it was nothing more than a personal hobby, basic blogs etc until in 2014 my first book was published. My second book is currently 3 weeks from being published, both historical books professionally published and 96 pages long. I now have a contract for my third, full length historical biography. It is hard work, tough and there doesnt seem to be enough hours in the day but I'm perservering.

My area of expertise is the Tudors and the Wars of the Roses, although I have also written about the history of Pubs.

What is your working process when putting together an historical book based on fact, source and truth?

For me, I begin by using basic sites like Wikipedia, ODNB etc to put together the basic bones of the story. Who fought where, who died, who was born etc. I then expand to working with authoritative books on the subject by preeminent historians in the field to gather further detail and intrepreatation. I always make sure this is from across a large section of time as prevailing opinons always change with the generations, so make sure there are books written a hundred or fifty years apart for example. Finally I will introduce primary sourced material, namely chronicles and exchequer records etc. When its all been put together in this hotchpot way, I will print it off and spend a considerable amount of time reading, reviewing and assesing, turning this piece into readable, narrative history.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Historical Non-Fiction Writers Thread

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:22 pm

I wish there were an Historical Non-Fiction board, too. Family history has been an interest of mine for decades, and it would be interesting to swop search results and challenges with other family historians.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:26 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

devildogwhite
Private E-2

Postby devildogwhite » Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:32 pm

There is no Miss Zarves. There is no nineteenth story. Sorry.

Nathen
Private E-1

Postby Nathen » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:46 am

Threats are never far away, depending what aspect of History you write about!

Return to Writers' Block Party