[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
THE GREATEST BOXER---ALI : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

THE GREATEST BOXER---ALI

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

THE GREATEST BOXER---ALI

Postby LilliesCarol » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:58 am

i see in today's news that Ali has passed on to the land of nod. This reminded of a great story my friend Walter, and his famous table cloth of renowned celebs, told me about how he got Ali's signature. In honor of this great world champion and his many good works, I have placed the article of Walter's meeting with Ali in the non fiction section. You might enjoy reading it. Now if I could only figure out a way to gather all 50 stories I have and get them printed. Ho hum.
Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

lifeontherun
Private First Class

Re: THE GREATEST BOXER---ALI

Postby lifeontherun » Sat Jun 04, 2016 12:44 pm

I met Ali when he was still Cassius Clay, I ran into his sparing partner on a daily basis by means of my Summertime job delivering auto parts in East Denver. I was invited to met the invincible Cassius Clay. His oldest daughter had just been born. I got his autograph for my step-father... and who knows where that's at now. Throughout the years it was hard to see the past when his head was beaten in so bad. That's a brutal, brutal sport...if that's what it's called.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:30 pm

It was a shock to me to watch him at the Atlanta Olympics, dealing with his Parkinson disease. He was reduced to a mere shell of what he had been in his glory days. Some have speculated that so many blows to the head were a contributing factor to his Parkinsonism. And now - football players, soccer players, etc. What a penalty many athletes have taken just to entertain us.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Noizchild
Lieutenant

Postby Noizchild » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:37 pm

2016 strikes again.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

devildogwhite
Private E-2

Postby devildogwhite » Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:25 pm

There is no Miss Zarves. There is no nineteenth story. Sorry.

lifeontherun
Private First Class

Postby lifeontherun » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:28 am

Nathen
Private E-1

Postby Nathen » Thu Jun 09, 2016 3:35 am

My absolute, unequivocal hero. A flawed man who grew and matured, as all men should. His particular quote below is apt I think in most situations;

A man who views the world at 50 the same as he did at 20, has wasted 30 years of his life.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sun Jun 12, 2016 12:08 pm

Didn't like him, didn't like his boxing, hated his political views, and loved it when he lost in the ring, though watching Larry Holmes turn him into raw hamburger was hard to watch. Many say that fight is what triggered his health problems.

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:37 pm

No matter what you think of him, or anyone that expends their life for something they are passionate about or truly believe in, he still had value. He put himself in a dangerous position over and over again for a reason we will never know. I'm sure there were times where he considered his life was not worth the cash he was being paid, but he still went in that ring. That right there is something.

Return to Writers' Block Party