What is your desk setup?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Carly Berg
Corporal

Re: What is your desk setup?

Postby Carly Berg » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:12 pm

No desk for me. Sofa or bed and my laptop.
My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

Cegrow Ber Bersabal
Private E-1

Postby Cegrow Ber Bersabal » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:45 am

Unhealthy ergonomics :lol:
a 3 feet table full of messed sheets

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:20 am

So many people favouring laptops here. While they are certainly convenient, I'd urge you all to at least spring for ones with full size keyboards, if you're going to go down that path. The reduced keyboards on smaller models are a well known cause of repetitive strain injury.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

IlsaPup
Private E-2

Postby IlsaPup » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:54 pm

I use a laptop on the couch or my lazy boy however I have a full sized keyboard but that didn't do it for me so I use a separate USB connected ergonomic keyboard. If I actually go into my desk, I have hook my laptop into my 32 inch flatscreen tv for a screen. When I do major edits, I go to the desk. When I create I am usually at the couch/lazy boy unless I get stuck then its back to the desk. It's what seems to work best for me.

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:26 pm

I can't find good posture in which to write.

Sofa: cushions too soft, sink down into it. Can't type with laptop on legs.

Searched high-and-low to find a kind of custom laptop-table or "breakfast tray thingy" to hold the laptop up in front of me. I looked at every 'mounting bracket' and 'extendable arm' available. NONE of them work. The problem is the arm of the sofa. So I wind up balancing the laptop on the stupid sofa-arm.

I don't have money or space to buy 'extra furniture' just for writing. It needs to fit into my existing room-plan. No extra desks or anything like that. Besides I don't want to sit at a desk during my leisure time anyway. It's equally impracticable to keep searching for divan-style sofas with 'no arm' on the left side only, where I happen to lounge.

Blah. It's horrible.
Blow up the bridge?!

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party