[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What is your desk setup? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What is your desk setup?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
ReadReadRead
Private E-1

What is your desk setup?

Postby ReadReadRead » Wed May 04, 2016 3:25 pm

How do you have your desk setup so you don't get wrist/back/neck pain when typing? Any suggestions?

Noizchild
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: What is your desk setup?

Postby Noizchild » Wed May 04, 2016 3:54 pm

I have anything that I will set my laptop on. Right now, I'm on a TV tray. On Sundays for half a day, I'm a corner desk. But really, any flat, hard surface will do for me.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed May 04, 2016 4:05 pm

When I wrote my six-day Nanowrimo wonder, I wrote about half of it at a desktop. I had to abandon that and finish it on my laptop, in my lap, because my wrists were beginning to hurt.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Wed May 04, 2016 5:48 pm

I usually write on the couch. xD
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Thu May 05, 2016 5:32 am

Yes, definitely invest in some ergonomics, particularly the chair - I bought a secondhand Steelcase Leap for not too much dosh. Then follow all the usual protocols around monitor height, keyboard angle, wrist support. And take lots of stretch breaks and drink plenty of water.

Also, though it's not strictly related to ergonomics, I recommend buying a high quality mechanical keyboard rather than a standard chiclet cheapie - the pleasing feeling of typing on them is just a balm to the fingers and makes you want to use them.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri May 06, 2016 4:15 am

Nothing special, just proper. I had carpal tunnel a few years ago, and it was not fun. A laptop solves the problem for many because a mouse cause more carpal tunnel than the keyboard does. All I do is sit straight, keep my forearms and wrists at the right angle, and type with my fingers, without using my wrists of forearms.

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Fri May 06, 2016 5:04 am

I use an ergonomic keyboard. Love it. Far more natural than forcing your hand into position. I also have a mouse pad with a cushion for my wrist to rest on.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Wed May 11, 2016 2:44 pm

I've always sat wrong at my desk, home and at work. But I go to a chiropractor, so there's that. :)

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Thu May 12, 2016 7:18 am

I have a confortable chair, but I also have a really tall table at my living room, so sometimes I like to write stand up.

Anyway, as I work with art and I happen to be REALLY long times sitting down working, the most useful advise I can give you is to stad up EVERY hour, stretch, walk a little, and again, stretch (without hurting yourself) before sleeping.

Best of lucks!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

MyCreativeJunction
Private E-1

Postby MyCreativeJunction » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:28 pm

Laptop on the sofa for me in general and ibuprofen if in pain
Aspiring author and blogger

creator of www.mycreativejunction.com

@mycreativejunc

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party