[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What inspires your writing? : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What inspires your writing?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Lilith Addington
Private E-1

Re: What inspires your writing?

Postby Lilith Addington » Wed May 04, 2016 5:56 pm

Stories inspire my writing, mainly. I have always been a reader; I love diving into fantasy worlds and situations and getting swept along in the story. I get so many story ideas, mostly fantasy, but some other genres too, and I just want to give them voices. I love the question "what if?".
WIP: Kill the Dead. Rough draft completed 4/28/16: 65,008 words.
Currently under painful editing.
Check out my poetry:

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Thu May 05, 2016 7:32 am

Thanks everyone. I'm really enjoying the responses to this question. I find it fun to see what inspires others to write; reason being I know that we all have our own way of writing. Plus it's interesting to see if if anyone is inspired the same way or if we are all different. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Wed May 11, 2016 7:50 am

“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Wed May 11, 2016 7:54 am

I don't certainly know what inspires me to write. I happen to be all alone most of the time and I can't stop thinking about everything and then the stories comes! But I can't remember any trigger in particular for the big stories.

Some of the little ones comes about things I see, I read and I feel everyday. And I know it may sound wrong (or dumb) but I have the Evernote in my cellphone and I use it a lot to write little thoughts and ideas that I end un editing on the computer. Well, before that I had a little paper block and pencil!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed May 11, 2016 9:40 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Thu May 12, 2016 7:19 am

I'll look for it! Thanks a lot!
― Mark Twain

Aaron J Kaplan
Private E-1

Postby Aaron J Kaplan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:22 pm

My determination to make the world a better place is my main inspiration. I only sit down to write on two types of occasions: First and foremost, I write when I have something to say that I feel can make a positive influence in the lives of others, and secondly, I write when I feel like one of my projects is lacking in recent contribution from the ole pen-hand (or computer keyboard) connected to my brain (all of my projects these days were drawn up as ideas to spread a positive message, however, so I suppose this type of occasion is quite similar to the first..)

I DO NOT sit down to write (these days at least) if I have something negative to say. I keep that to myself, and try to meditate it away. As they say, "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all."

But I totally understand the inspiration come from strong emotions, be them negative or positive. It is definitely beneficial to write a bit in order to purge negativity and clear it from the mind. However, in situations like this, I absolutely recommend writing as a journal entry or what have you. Negativity brings people down. But I also understand the learning curve, and that as a more inexperienced writer, the stuff that shouldn't really be published is the stuff that is easy to write (but that's why it's easy to write.. because it should be kept in the writer's personal notes, and it is easier to write to oneself than someone else).. just my 2 cents. I am most certainly guilty of publishing some extremely negative writing. I used to write some of the most depressing poems I have ever read or heard.

I think as long as a writer has good intention when they sit down to write, they can't go wrong, regardless of their reason for writing!
www.aaronjkaplan.com

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Wed Jul 06, 2016 4:53 pm

[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Mohamed Ali
Private E-1

Postby Mohamed Ali » Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:17 pm

The want for somewhere more than where you are, and to make that somewhere real on paper. To explore the unfamiliar wherever it leads me. The wish to see excitement and awe in others as I have with the writers that kept me awake until morning with a book in my hand. That's what makes me want to be a writer. But wanting isn't being unless you put one foot in front of the other. I wasted three years with distractions before I learned that simple lesson. One needs discipline as much as inspiration to get the job done.

Nelson Rolon
Private E-1

Postby Nelson Rolon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:38 pm

I'd say living is inspiration enough. It doesn't mean I write particularly well, or that I can solve the world's problems. It doesn't mean I need to inspire people. I write honest concerns of mine and anticipate that there's a lot of people who go through similar problems, or can at least understand in their own way. I will say that living and writing, for me, work in a positive feedback loop: more experiences, good or bad, grant more opportunities to reflect upon life. But I suppose I'm a philosopher of sorts, using fiction to make sense of things.

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party