What inspires your writing?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
roda havet
Captain

What inspires your writing?

Postby roda havet » Mon May 02, 2016 10:56 am

I came up with something else to think about. I got the idea for this question from other post I've made. So, I started thinking about all my poems and the novel I'm working on, plus the other ideas I have. And here is the question I asked myself: What inspires my writing now and when I was younger? I think that love, family, and loss of loved ones plays a big part in my writing. Though I got some ideas from my favorite tv shows/movies. But I believe my love for music plays a big part in it all. When I listen to my favorite singer it seems to inspire what I write about. Though his music in my opinion is full of emotions and shows in a since who he is. When he sing it's straight from his heart or at least that's how I feel, it all has some meaning to it. So his music makes me write straight from my heart about things that have happened in the past or what I see others going through. And when it comes to my novel its almost the same way, I listen to what thoughts come to mind when listening to music. Which in return helps me write from the heart. :mrgreen:
What things inspire your writing now and when you were younger?
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

Crono91
Lieutenant

Re: What inspires your writing?

Postby Crono91 » Mon May 02, 2016 1:10 pm

Well, virtually everything can inspire me.

But one, kind of odd thing that always inspires me to write, both now and in the past, was sunlight, warm/cool weather with a quiet breeze, and an open space (I have a strangely hard time writing in my room. It feels so small and almost like its constricting my thoughts. xD I'm not normally creatively cliche like that, but that's really what it feels like! Haha). Nothing makes me so ready and full of energy to open my laptop and begin writing than that.

In high school, when I had the time, I would wake up, go to Dunkin Donuts and get a breakfast sandwich and nummy iced coffee, and drive along the beautiful parkway. Windows down. Music playing. Warm weather air mixed with my car AC.

I'd eventually get home and start writing! Really good times. At lot of my best ideas came about during those drives.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

lifeontherun
Private First Class

Postby lifeontherun » Mon May 02, 2016 1:25 pm

Music is the trigger, every time, I've used it as transition in story line. Better off not using it though because it costs a lot to include in a writing...especially if the music is within the last 50 years. As I read I think about what I'm writing. Dreams also prompt stories. Basically just life in myth has me going all of the time.

Great question, and a planted seed. Thank you

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Mon May 02, 2016 1:39 pm

Thanks for the replies. Lifeontherun you are welcome. I came up with this due to other post I've made. Plus I was listening to my favorite singer and realize that his music has inspired my writing, along with his life story. He is opened about who is and he has been through so much; seeing what he's been through and how far he has gone in life with everything inspired me. It showed me that no matter where you come or who you there's a chance to maybe become what you want no matter how far out of reach you may think it is. It also showed me to just do what you love and enjoy life if you able to. Also it makes me realize your standing in life doesn't really matter as long as you are happy. Maybe one day I can meet him in person and tell him personal how much he has inspired me to do what I love. And maybe I can use my talent and love for writing to help others in the future. (He uses his fame to help children; I'll leave it at that because I'm not sure if I can mention his name on here or not.) :mrgreen:
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

OccasionalWriter
Private E-1

Postby OccasionalWriter » Mon May 02, 2016 11:06 pm

What inspires my writing: my first novel first came to me in a daydream while I was listening to a couple of songs on the radio, in the car with my mother when I was twelve years old. My daydream was about a girl running in a forest, and then there was a love story to it. My second novel came to me when I was fifteen years old, and it came to me when I saw a television show, which was about true crime, and the reenactment was about a little boy who accidentally shot and killed another little boy, with his father's gun. He shot him straight into the forehead, and then he died. It touched me so much that I wanted to write a novel about it. My third book, a novella, came to me after an assignment I did when I was thirteen years old at Duke Young Writer's camp. I was taking a sci-fi class, and my teacher told us to draw pictures of our characters, and then name them before we started writing. It was a short story, but it later became a novella. My fourth book, also a novella, I drew from experiences in my own life. My fifth book, a novella, I wrote about friends I had made and their life experiences. Again, my heroines are all me, in fiction form, but many of my characters are people I have met and loved. I imagine scenarios, nothing that would offend them, and I picture them triumphing in the end. My imagination got me into such trouble when I was at Catholic high school, because my Morality textbook's first chapter told us never to fantasize too much. But I disagreed with it. One must always disagree with the Church in some fashion. I was a Protestant at the time, and I used to work on my novels in the computer lab during my free period in the 1990's. My other books? More of the same: people I had met became characters, and I imagined us going on adventures together. I later shared them with them. I bought my friend April a copy of my first self-published book, because she was a character in it. About my novelettes... my protagonists are never me. They are some interesting people I'd like to get to know. And about my children's stories... they come to me from the stories my mother used to tell me when I was a child. And about my poetry... it comes to me from my innermost dreams and desires, and I use a lot of imagery. I write modern gothic poetry, which is not very common.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Tue May 03, 2016 10:52 am

I read a lot every day, including the newspaper, science articles, video game websites, other people's books, and so on. Quite often I'll get inspired by, say, some new scientific advance that gives me a "what if?" idea that's a permutation of whatever I just read about, or an idea for a villain based on a crime article. Basically just being exposed to the world is the source for many of my ideas.

Also, the shower. I've had so many of my ideas under the mind-clearing influence of the shower now that I just make a beeline for it whenever I get blocked.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue May 03, 2016 11:21 am

All of my novels were inspired by the kids around me in school, although my novel about the great flu pandemic of 1918 was sparked by a PBS program.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue May 03, 2016 6:15 pm

Inspires how? To you mean what inspired a particular story, or what inspires me to write at all? The answer to the first could be anything and everything. I don't even believe in that kind of inspiration. The answer to the second is not something I think about or worry about. I've always loved to read. I tried writing in an effort to make money. I made the money, and in the process found I enjoy the process of writing. It's that simple. If I enjoy something, I do it when I have the time. If I enjoy something and can also earn a living at it, I treat it like the job it is, no inspiration needed for it, anymore than any nine to five job you enjoy doing.

Noizchild
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Noizchild » Tue May 03, 2016 6:51 pm

For me, it is everything. My mind is like a camera and a recorder meshed into one. The problem for me is getting those ideas out.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Quoyle
Private First Class

Postby Quoyle » Wed May 04, 2016 12:18 pm

I'm an anything and everything kind of person. Inspiration for a story could be an incident, a news item, a person -- anything I find interesting or informative or amusing, and I think others might think so too.

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party