[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Your Pet Peeves That You Read In Novels : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Your Pet Peeves That You Read In Novels

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Your Pet Peeves That You Read In Novels

Postby cynicalwanderer » Fri May 06, 2016 11:01 am

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

kamalayka
Private E-2

Postby kamalayka » Sat May 07, 2016 10:06 am

I hate description. Hate it unless it's interesting.

Interesting:

The statue's amputated member lay on the floor like a chunk of concrete calamari. On the wall behind the emasculated statue, I HATE SEX AND BABIES had been crudely spray-painted in black and gray.

Boring:

Three pillars stretched between the floor and the ceiling. They looked marble, though they may have been granite made to look marble. The clouds must have parted at that moment, because the window behind me lit up countless sparkles in the pillars BLAH BLAH BLAH nobody cares.

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Wed May 11, 2016 7:46 am

First time reading about pet peeves, ha!

As Cantakerous Youth said before, LOTR has lots and lots of characters with unique and difficult names and I usually get a lot lost. And WELL if you are a fan of manga, just remember the expanded universe of One Piece.
I get to forget names a lot, so when they re-appeard, in any novel/comic book I usually end uo googling it to avoid more confusion.

I hope not to make pet peeves in my writing either. I guess what its a pet peeve to the world could be a normal character to the writer. But it makes me to think in another point to clear out!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

MyCreativeJunction
Private E-1

Postby MyCreativeJunction » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:37 pm

I hate it when the ending seems rushed or forced, so many times I read a book that is gripping up to the last quarter and then just suddenly dies for no real reason. I find this most often with books in a series, I don't know if it's the author running out or steam or being pressed to meet a deadline but it's infuriating when ads reader you sit there thinking why did you do that. Big example of it for me is the divergent and hunger games series. I thought first 2 books in each were pretty good and kept me reading, then in the 3rd it just didn't seem to offer anything new of exciting and the plot twists were nonsensical
Aspiring author and blogger

creator of www.mycreativejunction.com

@mycreativejunc

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:36 am

Been meaning to add these two peeves:

1) Authors who are so reluctant to have their "good guy" MC do anything violent out of fear that readers might be put off, that they'll instead strain credulity by having some third party "cavalry" arrive in the nick of time to off the bad guy instead. Another variant on this is having the bad guy who's got the MC in his clutches uncharacteristically decide to repent at the last minute and commit suicide instead. And one of the worst offenders has to be the hero with the "sociopathic sidekick" who conveniently does all the dirty work for him, explaining away any moral quandaries by virtue of their friendship. The Spenser series by Robert B. Parker even managed to double down on this atrocity by giving P.I. Spenser a psychiatrist girlfriend he could talk to afterwards to rationalise away any guilt he might feel after his buddy Hawk blew a bunch of villains away.

2) Action thrillers where the hero can break dozens of laws, shoot bad guys by the carton, become a fugitive from the law and destroy property all over the city in hectic car chases - and then at the end, all is forgiven because the hero was "innocent" and off they walk into the sunset with no legal recriminations for their actions whatsoever. This writing sin is also particularly prevalent in most of the garbage coming out of Hollywood, to the extent that a MC can be a violent bank robber and leave loads of death and destruction in their wake, but then gets let go at the end (or given 24 hours head start to disappear) by the compassionate slash love interest cop who's been pursuing them all this time. Aaagh!
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

devildogwhite
Private E-2

Postby devildogwhite » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:58 pm

I'm probably going to be alone in this one, but I honestly don't like books that are intentionally written to be a series. I don't mind a book having sequels, in fact I love sequels, but I want a complete story with each book I read. It's okay to leave your book open for continuation, but it drives me crazy when the first book is nothing more than exposition to get you ready for the second book.
There is no Miss Zarves. There is no nineteenth story. Sorry.

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party