[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Mystery Writing -outline or go with the flow : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Mystery Writing -outline or go with the flow

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

RE: Mystery Writing -outline or go with the flow

Postby abqwriter » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:46 am

The consistent feedback I received on my last manuscript is that there was a distinct difference between my writing with and without outlining.  I decided halfway through that I should outline the rest to prevent and "duh" moments in the plot.  It somehow inhibited my style.

I think it must be personal preference.

jmar2
Major General

Postby jmar2 » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:23 am

Reading all these wonderful responses reminds me of one of my favorite lines of dialogue:

"What we have he-re, is a fail-ure to com-mun-i-cate." ( Thank you Strother Martin for the wonderful delivery. "Cool Hand Luke -1967" )

Seems like Bob and James will be meeting in the alley behind Stan's Pool Hall shortly. Be careful Bob, James has been over the mountains and across the big river a few times.

My take: Go with what works for you. Back to the original poster, sounds like Lisa discovered in writing her first novel that Plan A left her dissatisfied, maybe even feeling disappointed. The "Gee, it's done and it's good, but I think I could have made it better."

It's my understanding that is not an uncommon feeling. Many first, second, even third novels aren't really the author's, they're more like exercises. Then the author hits their stride and several more really good novels later they go back and rewrite that first one the way it should have been written.

I understand both Bob and James points. If you need to keep control of what those rascals are going to do in your story, and in Bob's case, those characters are pretty damn deep, then by all means - take control. On the other hand if you're a whimsical spirit like James and you can juggle multiple story ideas without getting your gunslinger in a spaceship holding a Manhattan - although that might make a great story too, idea free to any who want it, then follow James.

Me? I do a little of both. When I'm on the South 40 with my cooperative weir-beast planting sweetbeets, I write freely, following the old man's thoughts and listening to his memories. When I'm racing down North Front Street in Wormleysburg at 2:00 a.m. trying to escape the 9mm bullets being fired from Jake's Glock as he hangs desperately from the seaplane's pontoon, I have a seven page detail outline beside me. It's really a 'map' I constructed for that one scene, much like a storyboard. Things like:
How many blocks to the Market Street Bridge
At 90+ mph, how quickly does 15 exit and N.Front Change to S.Front
Make sure you follow the recommended high speed turn procedure for the Porsche Cayman S - Brake hard, just before the apex, transferring the weight to the front end, then as you pass the apex, hit the gas and head onto the bridge.

So... Write the way you need to and change it as needed. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Bob and James, put away those baseball bats and come on back in - I'll buy you a brew or two.

John

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:35 am

Well, while engaging in my newbie-writer-immersion studies, I've found a great book. It's a WD book club selection called "Plot & Structure" by James Scott Bell. (Though I found this copy at the library - this is one book I plan to buy.)

It's been a wonderful source of inspiration to me. Scott followed a traditional career path believing that the dream of being a writer was unrealistic because writers are born, not taught. He calls this the 'Big Lie."

On othe subject of outlining, he nails it with a simple acronym, LOCK: Lead, Objective, Confrontation, Kknockout.

I'm not big on outlining, but I thought (as James commented we newbies often do) that a mystery novel would have to have a well developed outline. In the mystery novel I'm working on I had a character that, when I conceived the idea and wrote my outline, I thought would be important to the story. I'd been having a lot of trouble writing her, then I realized she was dead weight. She didn't drive the story forward - yes, she's an integral part of the central family's story but she had nothing to do with the real story. When I moved her to the shadows, things started to flow much better.

I think in this case, starting with an outline (I'm talking detailed, here) actually hindered my story because I wasn't readily willing to let her go.

This LOCK thing, though, seems all one needs to keep in mind to assess whether or not a chapter or novel is moving forward.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:54 pm

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:04 pm

OmenSpirits.com
Lieutenant

Postby OmenSpirits.com » Wed Mar 01, 2006 3:18 pm

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:15 pm

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:50 pm

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:44 am

Virginia Swift was our guest speaker, and something she said resonated with me.  From the time we are children, we hear things like, "You're making that up, aren't you?"  and  "Don't make things up."

I made things up all the time, including a friend who required a chair at our table for quite some time.  Why my mom humored me on this, I'll never know.  I was the youngest and spent a lot of time alone once my siblings went off to school.  My mother tells me I spent most of that time creating imaginary worlds with my toys or while swinging outside. 

I've had conversations with characters in my head for as long as I could remember and even thought at one point there must be something very wrong with me because of this. 

And I've always been very intuitive into the motives, thoughts and feelings of those around me.  My daughter commented that she thought I'd have a hard time hating anyone, because I am constantly explaining what prompted them to behave in a certain way.  This habit has a lot to do with how I write and get inside the heads of my characters.

But if I couldn't follow the rules of grammar or adhere to the guidelines for proper storytelling, I don't think the "gifts" I have would amount to anything worthwhile.

I believe it takes both.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:05 am

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party