Cranky writer or silent felicity

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
KarenRankowitz
General of the Army

RE: Cranky writer or silent felicity

Postby KarenRankowitz » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:36 pm

Hey there,

I'm a mom of two young boys. and can understand this so well. Writing is like any job - you have to set hours for yourself. If you find a particular time of day/night that works then before your shift starts try to have all your ducks lined up - taking care of the little ones isn't something that can be put off for obvious reasons. No, I know there is no perfect routine and what works well one week might be a disaster the next. If they are old enough to understand that you have work to do, then tell them just that and that you need X amount of time. If not old enough, then perhaps a teenaged helper to come in and give you the time you need by taking the child/ren.

I have to laugh about staying up all night and being grumpy. I stay up late, sleep for 4 maybe 5 hours, rise early and begin again.

I think it was WD mag where I read a quote from a writer (not exact but you'll get the point):  You aren't a writer unless you are addicted to alchohol, caffeine, nicotine, sugar and no sleep.

Most of it really gets down to scheduling your work time - Oh, one bonus, when they go to school...

Karen :)

80squeen
Sergeant Major of the Army

RE: Cranky writer or silent felicity

Postby 80squeen » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:22 am

Wow, I didn't realize there were so many other moms on here! I'm glad to know that! I have the same problem of when to write. My 2 year old takes a nap at noon and if I am going to do anything for myself then that is when I do it. I actually have sat down and done some writing when he is taking a nap but I find that my creativity is better at night so after I get the kids to bed I will go down to the office and write...anything. (Sometimes if I am up late writing I can take a nap when the kid is taking a nap, so I can catch up on my sleep) I agree with a lot of the other moms about being a mom first. I was not fortunate enough to be able to stay home with my eldest son so when my other son came along I jumped at the chance to be a stay at home mom (and BOY, that is a job isn't it??!!). I cherish all the moments we have together, especially when I see my 10 year old going about his business and I am no longer the center of his universe. I plan to hold on to the 2 year old as long as I can, there will be plenty of time to write later.

Melissa

Previous

Return to Writers' Block Party