[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Etiquette for Shadowing Sources : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Etiquette for Shadowing Sources

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

RE: Etiquette for Shadowing Sources

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:58 pm

abqwriter
Vice Commander in Chief

Postby abqwriter » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:58 am

Ah, James, where are you when I need you?  Just when you've finally decided that wasn't too bright, I'm ready to dive in!  :)

My husband grew up on the "wrong side of the tracks", and some of the stories he tells are harrowing.  He tells of coming to visit relatives one everning only to find the dirt road blocked with two vehicles.  The men were out scuffling in the dirt, and one of them was an uncle.  Soon knives flashed, and my husband recalls seeing the visitor to that road trying to push his innards back into his stomach while his son was searching under the seat for a gun.  When his father staggered back to his car, the son forgot the search and drove off for medical help.  My husband was only 7 or 8 at the time, and he said that kind of violence was commonplace.

I lived this dull, boring life with parents who rarely fought in a nice suburban neighborhood and went to a school where the worst thing that happened was when four kids came to school drunk. 

Good thing I have a good imagination!

Gooblink
Major General

Postby Gooblink » Sun Mar 05, 2006 1:47 am

Too funny.

"I can call you Betty, and Betty when you call me, you can call me Al."

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:29 am

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:04 am

Forget fiction, James. You need to write your memoirs. I can't wait to hear the story on that arrow scar!

A couple of generations back, my family was living that life. The only "heirloom" we as a family possess is the homemade brass knuckles my great grandfather used to keep himself alive in a cotton town in Alabama.

Clare

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:13 am

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:27 am

I never thought or claimed that my life was exciting, but now I'm learning it was downright dull! It's hard to comprehend so much violence, and anticipation of same, as a way of life. Wow.

Curious
Lieutenant

Postby Curious » Sun Mar 05, 2006 4:41 am

"Wow" is right! Based on that arrow story, I want to read the whole book. I see it as an updated Kung Fu--a peace-loving man who nevertheless can make himself a three-strand necklace out of the teeth people have lost in his presence during bar fights. A "Sunset Boulevard" in which the hero lives, leaves the diva crying, and publishes his book after all.

There's something irresistible about a true story well told, and this is great stuff.

Clare

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:04 am

Jumbie

Postby Jumbie » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:21 am

I do understand the attitude. My late husband was an investigator with the sheriff's dept in CA. He was a bomb tech for part of the time and he quit before I knew him - thank goodness. But the cop attitude was always there. I felt very safe no matter where we were, and he was mistaken for a cop or security at a lot of the places we went to. Fortunately, I never had to witness any serious problems. I'd have had a hard time staying out of any encounter where he might have been injured - even though I know it would be worse for him if I did.

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party