If C.S. Lewis got away with it!

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:16 pm

yudelka
Captain

Postby yudelka » Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:16 pm

I enjoyed "The Chronicles of Narnia"--very much. But (not that it's a horrible thing), if he and the editors can miss a booboo, then I should be okay with having a man in a wheelchair spring up excitedly--lol.

Back to the Chronicles; I don't remember all the details, but somewhere along the way, the kids leave their coats behind because the place starts to warm up. Well, somewhere along the way (not backtracking, mind you) they put on their coats, or at least one of them did. Again, I don't remember all the details. I do remember thinking, "Wait a minute, I thought they had left their coats behind." And I don't skip pages, mind you. And then I wondered, "How can anyone - other than the author himself, of course, as we do tend to overlook minor details - miss the coat issue." I mean, the coats were a big part of the story!

Anyway, I tend to overlook huge details. Like in the short story I put in the WD contest, I had a guy in a wheelchair rise up--no, it wasn't a miracle, just a huge oversight--OUCH!

jmar2
Major General

RE: If C.S. Lewis got away with it!

Postby jmar2 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:47 am

Somewhere here in the forums, James refers to 'idiot proofing' the finished manuscript.  He mentions that is what he and other writers do when their manuscripts are completed.  This isn't the copy editor part, this is just where you pass the novel around to several reliable people and ask them to read it exactly for the purpose you identified.  Did I call the Sheriff Tom in chapter 2 and Fred in chapter 7?  Do I have the train stopping in Cleveland, Illinois instead of Ohio?  Did the kids take their coats off in Sally's house then put them back on at Mary's?  Did my wheelchair occupant, 'spring forth'?

Sounds like all you need is that same type of 'reader'.   That's one thing I get from the critiques here, obvious catches like that save my butt more often than not.

John

yudelka
Captain

RE: If C.S. Lewis got away with it!

Postby yudelka » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:58 am

You know, that's exactly what I need. It's incredible how we can overlook certain details when writing. It's like when taking a test, once you see the right answers for the ones you got wrong, the question becomes 100% clear, and that word you (thought) were reading didn't eve have the letters you were pronouncing--lol.

Return to Writers' Block Party