[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Why Good Grammar? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Why Good Grammar?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Curious
Lieutenant

Why Good Grammar?

Postby Curious » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:23 am

Curious
Lieutenant

Why Good Grammar?

Postby Curious » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:23 am

Here is a treat too good not to share: Richard Mitchell's essay entitled "Why Good Grammar?" Not only are the ideas sound, but the writing is so precise and accomplished that it's a pleasure to behold.

http://www.stat.ualberta.ca/~wiens/WhyGoodGrammar.htm

Richard Mitchell ran a monthly publication called The Underground Grammarian and wrote several books, including Less Than Words Can Say and The Graves of Academe. They're all available online free of charge from http://www.sourcetext.com/grammarian/index.html . I stumbled across them accidentally whilst trying to determine online whether one should write "anymore than" or "any more than" (Mitchell and I are going with the latter). Now I'm ready to settle down with a sandwich, pull up the first book, and become a major fan.

Clare

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

RE: Why Good Grammar?

Postby Jamesaritchie » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:56 am

Catherine
Lieutenant

Postby Catherine » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:58 am

Okay a quick question:

Is this a proper sentence?

Just before our author begins his introduction, we will hear from his agent.

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:06 am

I enjoyed the article. The guy wrote sentences as long as a football field, but he got his point across. As one who has been exposed to the best and worst grammar can offer, I see the inherent value of using grammar properly. Grammar is more than a way to communicate effectively. It presents to those around us an image of our intellectual selves.

I certainly don't proclaim to be a perfect grammarian in any way, but I'll never stop trying to be the best language user I can be. I see grammar and language as thing that grow and change. You have to continuously learn and stay current with the ebb and flow of words and phrases. It's a walk we take with words. Grammar is a companion.

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:18 am

Catherine
Lieutenant

Postby Catherine » Tue Mar 07, 2006 3:45 am

LOL!! Good point.

It should have read "Just before the author begins his reading, a word from his agent."

So, I guess it's okay. The world "JUST" throws me off. It seems it should be omitted. Thanks. :)

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:08 am

jasipper
Brigadier General

Postby jasipper » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:29 am

Jamesaritchie
Commander in Chief

Postby Jamesaritchie » Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:43 am